Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What kind of grazing animal will eat nettles? Sheep or goats?  (Read 12389 times)

londontolandgirl

• Joined Oct 2017
What kind of grazing animal will eat nettles? Sheep or goats?
« on: October 19, 2017, 02:25:35 pm »
We're newcomers to the smallholding game but enormously excited to be getting started after about a four year search for our current house! It came complete with Alpacas who have made their feelings about me (unflatteringly intense dislike) plan and who will thus be going to a new home soon. In their stead we're planning to get some sheep and pigs but I'd also like something that would eat the nettles that are currently taking over our paddocks. Online research seems divided on this, can anyone recommend a breed of sheep that likes to graze on nettles? Or should I be looking at sheep? Thanks in advance!

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: What kind of grazing animal will eat nettles? Sheep or goats?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 04:51:28 pm »
Both sheep and goats will eat nettles but they like them cut first and wilted for a day before doing so.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 06:10:16 am »
With mine the goats eat nettles and thistles then the grass, the shetland sheep eat the grass first then clear the nettles once the grass is getting low.
That said the goats eat the nettles and thistles more at certain times, they like them best when they're flowering.

crobertson

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 05:11:29 pm »
Our sheep eat both nettles and thistles, they are a hill breed so do well on poor ground. Our couple of texels on the other hand won't touch anything that isn't lush grass ????

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 05:47:34 pm »
At this time of the year my horses do the best job of eating right down any nettle patches. Goats nibble the tops then move on. Sheep not bothered.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 09:45:54 am »
You could cut them down now with a dashel basher then spray the newly emerging nettles with Grazon Pro in Spring.  Ditto docks and thistles.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2017, 12:35:19 pm »
The usual warning about Grazon 90 / Grazon Pro - it is highly persistent, in the sward and through animals’ digestive tracts.  No problem if you only use your muck on pasture / meadows.  But don’t use muck from animals that have grazed the treated sward or hay made from it (even months after treatment) on any broadleaved plants - gardens, veg plot, tomatoes, turnip patch, etc.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

londontolandgirl

• Joined Oct 2017
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2017, 11:28:53 pm »
Thank you so much everyone! I think I'll look at a goat to go in with our sheep and see how we get on. We do have pigs that are clearing some of the land for us (that is to say, we're building our pig pen over the worst of the nettles!) but the main paddocks are becoming choked!

crobertson

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2017, 09:14:39 am »
I can also add Graze on has worked wonders on out paddocks that had been neglected before we moved here.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2017, 11:52:04 am »
I spot treat with Grazon using a hand sprayer.  It helps if you time it to coincide with soft young growth in Spring, when about 15-20 cm high.  Also after a couple of days of dry weather and another dry day forecast.

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS