Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New sheep coming, don't know what to do!  (Read 2254 times)

mmmkay777

• Joined Oct 2016
New sheep coming, don't know what to do!
« on: October 15, 2017, 09:50:55 pm »
Hi, we are very new to this. We have 4 acres of lush grass, been growing through the year, I've toped it a couple of times. We were going to make hay but didn't in the end. Anyway next week we have 6 ewes and a ram (on loan) coming. So I have a few questions about nutrition.

So the grass is long 1-1.5 feet, some bits less.

I've been reading about feeding during the pregnancy and everywheee it says about supplemental feeding as the grass doesn't grow during winter. But our grass is already long, we will have 7 sheep in total on 4 acres so do I have to supplement at all??

Can I just let them onto the biggest field, will they get too fat? I'm aware as the grass has been left it's going to be low quality but there is a lot, can the volume compensate? I was going to do rotational grazing.

Thanks for the help in advance

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: New sheep coming, don't know what to do!
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 09:54:57 pm »
If you want the sheep to make the most of the grass then I would strip graze it otherwise a lot will just get trampled and wasted.  Over the winter the grass will turn into standing hay.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 10:17:43 pm »
It's very long for sheep  :-\ theyll likely end up with sore feet on that. Sheep don't like long grass as a rule. Cattle would graze it more effectively....I'd top an area for them to graze.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 11:30:41 am »
Grass that long will have very little feed value.  If you're in a mild area it could be worth getting some of the ground topped now to grow slowly through the Winter and provide a fresh bite for the ewes when they're turned out with their lambs.  Strip grazing is a good idea and so is providing a mineral bucket.  If you want to push the boat out you could get the sheep blood-tested for minerals and have your vet administer a suitable mineral bolus which should last through pregnancy, but this needs to be done before tupping so as not to stress the ewes.  I have a Flock Plan which you're welcome to - just PM your e:amil address if you'd like to take a look.  It's specific to our breeds and our farm and is constantly being updated but it could give some ideas on timing and feed quantities.

TheSmilingSheep

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 08:18:38 am »
I agree with comments that the grass may be a lit long for them.
Also, feeding whilst pregnant can depend upon the breed you have. 
We scan our ewes in January, and if they're only carrying a single I'd be unlikely to offer additional feed over their grass (but they do have mineral buckets ad lib) since they are Balwens and Shetlands.  If they were carrying twins then I would give a modest amount of additional feed, but only in the last few weeks.
How exciting for you!

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 12:05:52 pm »
If the land is divided is it possible to top some, leave that to grow, while sheep are penned in separate field?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS