Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wine starter kit????  (Read 5650 times)

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Wine starter kit????
« on: November 24, 2017, 05:32:58 pm »
My hubby has been thinking about making wine for a while but never gets around to getting equipment together and making a start.

So I thought that I could get him a starter kit or a good book and the basic equipment as a birthday gift.

Any recommendations as to what I should get would be gratefully received as I'm a bit baffled when I look at all the stuff that's available.

Thanks!

Scotsdumpy

• Joined Jul 2012
Re: Wine starter kit????
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 12:18:00 pm »
I would recommend a starter kit. You typically get one demijohn, wine yeast, wine concentrate, a hydrometer and plastic piping and maybe some sterilising solution/tablets or powder. You just follow all the instructions - you will have to buy the sugar and maybe (not always) a second demijohn. You should get a quaffable wine and some experience of brewing another batch. Good luck, it can become addictive (the process I mean)....

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 07:37:15 pm »
If you're starting small then a 7 litre stock pot. a spatula, a large funnel, small jug, sieve to fit in the funnel, demi john, bung and airlock, piece of tubing, some yeast, some sterilising powder and some yeast. That will get you sorted with the basics to brew 1 gallon batches of most fruit wines or a mead. Just add your honey or your sugar and fruit. Oh and water of course!

If you want to get fancier then you can look at hyrdrometers, filters, bottle washers, heating pads, a whole host of chemicals and additives, larger fermenters and buckets etc.

If you're looking for a book then the booze for free one isn't too bad.

I second that the process is incredibly addictive. We don't drink much but we brew silly amounts. Our friends and family have gotten used to getting bottles for birthdays, christmas and pretty much any gathering!

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 09:25:54 pm »
I would second getting your husband a complete starter pack.  Plenty of them about.  Choose a wine that you're fond of amyway. 
https://www.brewuk.co.uk/8-elderflower-wine.html
http://www.lovebrewing.co.uk/wineworks-starter-bundles/
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 08:56:19 am »
Thanks for all your replies.

Will check out the kits and your info has given me something to work from and I'll definitely get the book, Dans.

Will probably be back asking for brewing advice soon!

Oh well, off into the snow I go!

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 11:26:55 am »
I'm not a drinker but as Mrs RTB has started to include winemaking in to the preservation of produce portfolio I have started to make wines of assorted types, Get a starter kit , I did and have slowly expanded , demijohns, for the small amounts I make  althought I have some of the glass gallon ones I have fount the 5 ltr water bottles from the supermarket seem fine , correct plastic , sterilize ok ( NO boiling water though  :'(    Dans post is spot on
 My attitude is  be prepared for a couple of failures at first , so far  Ive made / consumed Mead. made and waiting on Blackberry, Girders, elderberry,banana ( mow thats a challenge to clear ) and raspberry The mead is very nice once the initial stinging at the back of the eyeballs subsides ! but the more mature mead is smooth and surprisingly not that sweet, so far the pear wine seems to have "gone off track" changing coluer fron green to pink but still smells of pear.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2018, 04:56:42 pm »
Thanks all. Bought a kit as suggested and now drinking the spoils.

Really quite pleasant result and my daughter really enjoyed making it with her dad. She's not old enough to drink but has had a taste!

My daughter is desperate to start another batch and wants to try country wines or mead soon.

Trouble is we made 25 bottles and don't drink much at all so guessing we'll be giving it as gifts!

simonoakley

• Joined Jan 2018
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2018, 01:24:53 pm »
it doesn't go off so a stock pile wont hurt  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS