Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feeding sheep  (Read 3640 times)

Tracy mayoh

• Joined Jul 2017
Feeding sheep
« on: October 14, 2017, 07:09:50 pm »
Hi
Just wanted advice
I have 4 wether ryelands and grass is in short supply now
How much hay and sheep nuts should I be offering each daily
Am I right in thinking a handful each per day or would they need more
Plus how much hay?
Cheers guys

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
Re: Feeding sheep
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 08:28:17 pm »
I've just started to feed mine hay. Quantity depends on how much grass is left and if they are lambs you are feeding up for slaughter or older pets where you are looking to maintain condition.  If I have a hay rack available I just fill it and wait until it is empty as they don't tend to eat it unless the grass is short. If there is no feeder and it is on the ground then a large barrow load a couple of times a day to start and increase if it is getting eaten too quickly.

Sheep nuts is kind of optional with Ryelands but a handful a day to,start and increase when the weather turns cold

Tracy mayoh

• Joined Jul 2017
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 08:43:18 pm »
Oh excellent thank you
There just under a year old and just pets I was worrying they'd be getting hungry ha think I may have been over feeding them as I've been giving them a small take away size tub of nut a day each
As well as hay bale being at their disposal too !!!

Badger Nadgers

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Derbyshire/North Staffs
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 09:56:58 pm »
Every year I wish I'd put out hay earlier.  Ad-lib hay will not hurt.

crobertson

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 10:28:42 pm »
Be careful not too overfeed I've done this before with some ewe lambs thinking they were hungry .. they were just greedy and ended up on the fat side, especially when they had all of the spring and summer grass the year after. I would stick to just hay as they only tend to chose that when the grass isn't good enough.

Tracy mayoh

• Joined Jul 2017
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 10:40:08 pm »
Ok cheers sounds like a plan
I'm putting them in the barn in a week or two as there only on anacre and it's getting boggy now so will substitute feed with hay and a few nuts
What's score on pumpkins people keep mentioning sheep like them as a treat

crobertson

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2017, 10:48:16 pm »
I chucked a smashed pumpkin in with my ram and his buddy a few days ago, after a bit of play and head butting its mostly gone and they seemed to like it - i'll be getting a few for the girls field this weekend!

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2017, 08:17:36 am »
I'd feed hay ad-lib, I( wouldn't feed nuts unless they are very poor, or in lamb.

sheeponthebrain

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Turriff
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2017, 09:01:45 am »
remember don't feed ewe nuts to wethers as it can cause urinary calculi.  lamb or tup feed is far safer

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2017, 09:10:41 am »
Down sheep will get fat on fresh air!  I'd offer ad lib hay but they'll always eat grass as long as it's available.  Offer a mineral lick if you're worried about quality but hard feed shouldn't be necessary.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2017, 10:19:27 am »
I have 6 very fat pet ryelands. They are on 2 acres. They don't get fed anything until after christmas. Then it will be hay and a few nuts on the odd occassion as a treat and to keep them bucket trained.

When we were lambing they used to have nuts on a daily basis in the new year but as we don't lamb them now their rations are cut but they still manage to maintain their weight.

Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS