Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Any suggestions as to whats wrong  (Read 2155 times)

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
Any suggestions as to whats wrong
« on: June 16, 2010, 07:08:21 pm »
A friend phoned and asked if I could despatch a chicken for him as he didnt feel able to and it was not well. When he arrived, he explained that it keeps pecking itself, I expected to see it in a bit of a state, but actually it was not too bad.  Because it was no where near deaths door as I had expected I suggested that instead of killing it he leave it with me to see if I could rectify whatever is wrong with it.
It is about 3 years old, lives with others who are not affected in any way(so not infectious i would say), it stopped laying about 3 weeks ago and has made itself bald around the vent area, small degree of white pasty poo around area, it is not underweight and its comb is red, it does not sit hunched and eats and drinks fine and seems quite happy other than that. Its a Black Rock just in case that makes a difference.
I have got it in isolation far from any of my birds, given it a dose of mite powder, put it on some wormer and given it cider vinegar in its water, it does not appear to be egg bound, although I am no expert in that field, I have had a feel of the area and nothing untoward.
Any ideas would be a help
Dawn

HappyHippy

Re: Any suggestions as to whats wrong
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 07:38:26 pm »
I'm not very experienced with chooks, only having had my two for a short time - but it sounds like you've covered all the bases  ;D My first thought would be worms, then mites/lice, possibly going into moult or going broody? Cider vinegar and a wee drop of poultry spice (if you've got any) should perk it up a bit. Is it possible that it's been bullied by the other birds ? Maybe the feather plucking is down to nerves/stress? I'm glad you're giving it a chance (but you may end up with a new addition to your flock if it's not going to be productive enough for your friend lol!) ;) ;D ;D ;D

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 09:41:33 pm »
Thought you might like to know that the chicken has made a good recovery, no more smelly poo, no more pulling out feathers and she is very lively, has not started laying again yet but she is probably about 90% back to normal. I think she may have had vent gleet, from the research I have done and so the cider vinegar was probably what did the trick.

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 10:02:08 am »
Glad to hear it  ;D ;D ;D Fingers crossed she'll start laying for you again soon.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS