Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Kombucha  (Read 5236 times)

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
Kombucha
« on: September 10, 2018, 08:40:39 pm »
Kombucha Has any one made this ?
I think I would like to have a go at making some in the near future.
Any ideas on difficulty scale any tips (not PG tips ! )

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Kombucha
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 06:58:36 am »
There’s a chap here makes it, having inherited it from someone who left. 

They use green tea and it’s a lovely drink. 

I’ll ask him if he has any tips and come back to you if so. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Part time dabbler

• Joined Aug 2016
  • Cornwall
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 08:21:03 am »
My wife makes it, seems relatively easy. Message me a contact email and I will ask her to send you the details
Physically part time in the garden, mentally full time in the garden

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 11:04:42 am »
All this from our lovely Dave :

Quote from: Trelay Dave
Super easy to make once you get going and remember where you put your funnel!
The hardest part is remembering to do the next batch!
We use green tea but you can use others too.... This is from a quick Google search:
" Green tea, white tea, oolong tea, or a even mix of these make especially good kombucha. Herbal teas are okay, but be sure to use at least a few bags of black tea in the mix to make sure the scoby is getting all the nutrients it needs. Avoid any teas that contain oils, like earl grey or flavored teas"

Get yourself a scoby (symbiotic colony of bacteria and yeast) which is a strange slimy brain like thing which will float on your brew and keeps growing bigger and bigger. (Excess can be peeled off and either given to friends or composted)
Get a scoby from either a friend, a health food shop or grow one yourself from a store bought bottle of kambucha.

Brew up 4 tea bags in 2l boiled water. Brew for a good 30 mins. Dissolve half a cup sugar whilst still hot.
Wait a few hours to cool then pour onto your scoby in a glass jar.
Elastic band and tea towel on top let's gas escape and keeps out flies and things.
Wait about 10 days.

Pour into swing top glass bottles using funnel and close to allow pressure to build up slightly giving it a lovely bit of fizz. Leave scoby in jar along with half a cup or so of liquid and start your next batch....

After a few goes the process is super easy and worth it because its really delicious. Mmmm I'm going for a glass right now. Use a little sieve when pouring so any jelly snotty bits don't ruin your experience :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 11:27:11 am »
There is a Facebook group called "UK Fermenting friends" - for ALL things fermenting. I am on it for Sauerkraut and sourdough and kefir, not thought about Kombucha, as I am not into fizzy drinks.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2018, 06:46:11 pm »
any thoughts of the scobys on E bay ?

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2018, 09:20:18 pm »
you can get scobys from https://happykombucha.co.uk we stopped brewing it when OH started working away but it is really easy.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 10:03:42 pm »
Thanks for that
RTB

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS