Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: When to slaughter livestock  (Read 4322 times)

bluewatersailor06

• Joined Oct 2013
Re: When to slaughter livestock
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2017, 10:36:45 pm »
Thank you all for your advice....really appreciate the guidance. There is so much to learn and really want to keep healthy livestock.

I will take some photos at tomorrow afternoons feed and also condition score - the littles and the others - and then report back!

Bye for now!

crobertson

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2017, 07:42:23 am »
Not sure if its relevant but our lambs have been on the smaller side this year. This appears to be a common problem in our area this year with even our local agriculture suppliers and even vet nurses at our practice that have sheep all having the same problems of lambs just not as big as they normally would be, our local butchers have also found lower lamb weights. Our yield off the hay field wasn't as good this year so for us it is likely the weather and amount of rain we've had this year has affected our grass growth and quality.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2017, 08:21:18 pm »
Mine are Ryelands and I would say moderate rather than poor or very good. It was very cold and wet throughout May and early June and it was only a late spurt following some warmer weather that gave us a decent hay crop.  I wasn't clear whether you have your own tup but if you don't then maybe your choice is a bit restricted?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS