Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New Legislation when buying animal feed  (Read 5239 times)

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
New Legislation when buying animal feed
« on: October 11, 2017, 07:20:35 am »
Today I was buying a few bags of feed and the shop told me that some new legislation had come in and they were now required to take a phone number and name whenever they sell any animal feed as it will enter the food chain.. Its the first I've heard of it and it was a total PITA and took twice as long to get through the checkout..

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
Re: New Legislation when buying animal feed
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 07:40:13 am »
I am skeptical; I'd ask for proof or buy elsewhere. Airport shops used to say similar tosh to see boarding passes, really to claim for themselves tax back. Your supplier may just be trying to improve customer capture or have something else to sell ie your data.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 07:48:46 am »
We have to give postcode/address at Wynnstay for traceability and have done for some time now

Scotsdumpy

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 08:09:39 am »
Same here in Aberdeenshire - not all animal feeds though. It doesn't bother me at all - what bothers me at the moment is that in asda they ask for your postcode. I always refuse and sometimes the checkout person is quite insistent that I give it!!!! I never do....

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 08:25:33 am »
the most relevant thing I can find on the fsa website is this, which relates to traceability of gmo crops.
"For example, where production starts with a genetically modified crop, the company selling the crop for feed production would have to inform any purchaser that it is genetically modified. Information must be retained for five years."
I can find nothing on traceability of final purchasers of such feed, and gm crops are traced more than the rest.
But it's all under EU legislation, which means mountains of impenetrable regulation in bureau-speak, so I guess it is possible. But I would still ask the shop to prove it.
Shop staff like Asda's may be on standing orders to try to get as many customers' data as possible and even incentivised to do it. If it is law then the relevant law should be displayed where they are asking for it ie at the till.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 06:19:05 am »
Was the feed you were purchasing medicated?

No don't think so was just a standard bag of BOCM ewe nuts? The shop is just an independant feed shop that I've been using for years, their very friendly and I know them well so I don't think they have any agenda.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 12:02:00 pm »
I need to get some feed today, I won't mention it, I wonder if they will?

Badger Nadgers

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Derbyshire/North Staffs
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 11:37:37 pm »
I'm guessing here, but th last lot of sheep corn I bought didn't have the paper tags sewn into the tops.  I don't buy a lot at this time of year so don't know if this is a one-off or a permanent change.

If we're not able to keep these for EC Feed Regulations (183/2005), there's little in the way of traceability.  There's the usual stuff printed on the bags itself as usual but they get reused.  It might be a way of suppliers being able to demonstrate where they've sold to in case TS/FSA etc need to trace origins of any feed problems.

https://www.food.gov.uk/sites/default/files/multimedia/pdfs/afrecordkeepingrequirements.pdf

For scotland:  https://www.food.gov.uk/sites/default/files/multimedia/pdfs/publication/summfoodrecordkeepingreqscot.pdf which refers to https://www.food.gov.uk/sites/default/files/multimedia/pdfs/publication/feedfoodrecordkeepingreqscot.pdf
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 11:52:11 pm by Badger Nadgers »

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2017, 12:24:37 am »
Bought beef nuts today and no questions.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2017, 07:42:07 am »
I wouldn't get asked at my local store .... I have an account and they have all details.   I was asked when I bought some at alternative store recently.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2017, 09:36:41 am »
Having traceability  is a good thing it helps protect the farmer/small holder , after us leaving the EU we will still have it .........  thankfully .

Remember that BSE was caused by us selling old chicken feed to the French for pig feed , they recycled many tonnes of it as cattle feed .
 BSE might have been a much smaller problem if 100% food traceability had been in place .

Our feed stockist  has our details tied into their sales till so after the first trade under the new system it's all done automatically . we don't get any annoying adverts etc. as we didn't give an email address plus we have the TRUECALL call blocker which would kill any advertisers calling us .

We've been running with this system for well over a year now .....  18 month in fact. it's not a problem I can assure you .
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 08:22:02 pm by cloddopper »
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Badger Nadgers

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Derbyshire/North Staffs
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2017, 09:53:43 pm »
I'm guessing here, but th last lot of sheep corn I bought didn't have the paper tags sewn into the tops.

Bah, just checked and they've switched to a large sticky on the side of the bag instead.

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2017, 03:18:54 pm »
wish i hadn't given the feed mill my details, then they couldn't send me horrendous bills...   ;D ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS