Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rent a ram  (Read 4188 times)

Chugbi

• Joined Oct 2016
Rent a ram
« on: October 09, 2017, 06:45:19 pm »
Hi all
Bit of a nub question but I've never had to sort out a ram for myself before due to working on a large farm with their own, so how does anyone go about sourcing a ram for their flock?
I'm not interested in buying one either.
I'm in the Sussex area if that's any help :sheep:

Thanks in advance!

Helen Wiltshire Horn

• Joined Apr 2014
Re: Rent a ram
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 07:52:16 pm »
I found a ram to rent by looking in the breed society list of members and ringing round.   
Helen

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 07:58:52 pm »
I think unless you know the person it can be difficult due to bio security worries. Worm resistance, disease can all make ram owners very reluctant to hire rams unless they know the health status of the flock the ram is going to. You could buy a ram lamb and either kill it after or put it in market once it's served your ewes.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 09:00:52 pm »
We hire out rams, mostly to smallholders who've purchased their foundation stock of ewes from me but don't want the bother of a ram around all year, but when they come back they go straight into quarantine then to cull once the standstill period is over.  This works for us and for them and they're mostly booked a year in advance. 

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 06:37:03 am »
I think it depends on which breed your breeding. If you want pedigree then look at the Breed Society List and see who's local. You could look on Preloved and see who locally is selling sheep and message them asking if they have any rams to hire out. I don't know anyone (other then Marches Farmer) who hires out rams. Its quite a lot of hassle to do so and with the biosecurity etc there isn't much in it for the farmer hiring out the ram. Couldn't you buy a ram and then sell it or cull it once you've finished with it?

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 07:29:50 am »
I don't know anyone (other then Marches Farmer) who hires out rams.

And actually (I'm sorry if this sounds harsh), MF isn't really hiring them anyway, if they never return to the flock.

A tup lamb should be easy to find at this time of year. Just don't leave it too long, or they'll all be burgers!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 08:41:11 am »
It's not a free service!

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 07:27:22 pm »
No, I didn't mean it like that, and wasn't trying to cause offence!

As BJ says, not many people hire out rams, because of the potential issues. You do, but manage the issues by not returning said rams to the flock. At the end of the day, that's very similar to buying a tup lamb and then sending him for meat, but with you doing the culling on their behalf.

Do you see what I mean, or should I just shut up?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Chugbi

• Joined Oct 2016
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 10:57:49 am »
Lovely, thanks for all the information! Looks like buying one for a short while is the answer.

Are there any opinions on using a border leicester x texel ram on Suffolk and mule ladies?

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 11:48:21 am »
The Border Leicester ( or similar) has already been used to produce the mules, which are a maternal strain - ie big milky sheep bred to produce good lambs.
BUT in order to produce "good lambs" you need to cross the ewes with a terminal sire, ie one that will produce very meaty lambs. So you don't  want anything with Border Leicester in. You want to use, for example, Texel, Suffolk, Blue du Maine, Charrolais etc not just any cross breed mix. You'll find plenty in the stores market - good enough to breed from, just not extra good enough to register. Or look on such as Preloved, where you would most likely be able to see the parents.   
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2017, 03:37:32 pm »
One of the Down breeds will give a good carcase and the likelihood of twins. I suggest steering clear of the Charollais if you're in a chilly spot or lamb outside.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2017, 11:17:31 am »
One of the Down breeds will give a good carcase and the likelihood of twins. I suggest steering clear of the Charollais if you're in a chilly spot or lamb outside.

I realise several breed societies like registered rams to be at least a twin before they will allow registration.
However, technically, the likelihood of twins is decided only by the female, and how she has been treated before and after conception. A ram should produce millions of sperm. It is therefore the ewe that needs to produce more than one egg in order to have twins. Any old ram should produce ample sperm to ensure they're fertilised.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2017, 12:40:38 pm »
the likelihood of twins is decided only by the female, and how she has been treated before and after conception. A ram should produce millions of sperm. It is therefore the ewe that needs to produce more than one egg in order to have twins. Any old ram should produce ample sperm to ensure they're fertilised.

I've often thought that myself, particularly when people boast about how the ram comes from a long line of twins, or people who retain a triplet ram because it comes from very fertile lines..

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS