Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: TOMATO WINE  (Read 4290 times)

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
TOMATO WINE
« on: October 07, 2017, 08:36:33 pm »
Munchkin collected all the grapes off the 9 year old vine last weekend on the Sunday afternoon.. So my Monday began with a frantic rush to get hold of some basic wine making gear again .
 £18 later and two glass demijohns from our Mens Shed's storeroom & I'm ready to go .

Managed nearly 4 pints of home made grape juice must from my own black grapes and a full demijohn using a small bottle of red concentrate to ensure that we actually do drink our own wine,  one way or another on Christmas day .

Sitting, here reading about,  " The can you freeze this & that thread "  caused me to think about what to make in the first empty demijohn
 Well I have about 20 pounds of tomatoes frozen solid  like snooker balls ... you can guess what's coming next can't you ?

Has anyone ever made tomato wine ?
If so has anyone got a recipe they've tried & what was it like.
eg.
So dry you had to keep it in a lead container to stop it dissolving things like it did to the glass bottles .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
Re: TOMATO WINE
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 11:40:01 pm »
I've never done it but a quick search brings up this with some positive feedback:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=52828

I'm almost tempted but all our tomatoes go into passata which we use all year round. May have to do some extra plants next year to give it a go.

Let us know how it goes if you do brave it!

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Part time dabbler

• Joined Aug 2016
  • Cornwall
Re: TOMATO WINE
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 12:41:19 pm »
My wife makes home made ketchup including a rather delicious tomato and chilli ketchup with spare toms. Every guest raves about them. I can t recall the recipe off the top of my head but to give a shameless plug to her facebook page (well it is the better half) Lidcott Larder. Have a look its in there somewhere alongside the Nuttella Vodka that also seems to go down extremely well :) 
Physically part time in the garden, mentally full time in the garden

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS