Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Getting goats in heat  (Read 1947 times)

Bluff

• Joined Apr 2016
  • Shropshire / N Wales Border
Getting goats in heat
« on: October 07, 2017, 03:15:37 pm »
We have just collected this years "tup and eat" boy (Kevin)  and are sharing him with another person. Her girls are coming tomorrow ( 2 of them) and will be in the barn with Kevin until tupped. Then they will go home and our two experienced girls will go in with him. Can't put them all in together as all hell will let loose.
We have another secure area immediately adjacent to the barn. If I put my two in there so they can smell him, is this likely to reduce the time it takes to get them in heat once they get in there?
Thank you in advance

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Getting goats in heat
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 05:04:34 pm »
"Tup" ( as in sheep) or "billy" (as in goat)? If goat, you would normally have the boy near the girls and they will tell you when they are in heat.... So you can then mate "in hand", have a good idea when the kidding will take place. This way you will probably be finished before three weeks... but I wouldn't want to eat billy goat meat, as the taint must surely be horrible...

Bluff

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 05:10:22 pm »
Thank you. We have done this a few times now and so far the billy meat has been delicious tbh
Normally we just let him run with the does that are to be served but this year, as we are sharing him, we can't do that. Sounds like our plan will work. Thanks again.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 07:05:05 am »
Once he's with you, any does within smelling distance  - probably about 10 miles if my goats are anything to go by - will be coming in season, no problem.
My does in the barn with the buck were all served in the first week, just waiting to check no return and keeping the rest securely out of reach.

Bluff

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 05:35:43 pm »
Thank you. That is great news. That's what we will do then. Thanks again

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS