Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Working sheepdog wanted  (Read 3733 times)

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
Working sheepdog wanted
« on: October 07, 2017, 08:59:24 am »
Looking for a well trained working sheepdog, happy to travel an hour or three for the right one.

Don't mind dog or bitch, needs to have a good stop as most of our grazing is electric fenced.
Needs to travel well truck/quad and be good with kids and other dogs.
One with lambing experience would be great as I lamb a lot of sheep for myself and other people, mostly outdoors and on my own.

There are a couple of sales coming up but I'm struggling to make them due to other commitments plus I'd prefer to try before I buy.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Working sheepdog wanted
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 09:58:44 am »
Try the working sheepdog page on FB they sometimes have some. Also preloved have some every now and again. If you're after a Welsh then Welsh sheepdog society FB page may be able to help you, the breeders are great on there :) hope you find what you're looking for soon!
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 10:41:25 am »
Just a word of warning about Welsh sheepdogs.
As they were originally bred as drovers' dogs - used to drive cattle to the London meat markets - they can be a bit handy at snapping at humans' legs as well as cattle.
I got one once from a Collie Rescue in Wales. She was amazing as a working dog. Could handle any cattle and would load the sheep in 2 tiers high in the trailer (and that was without decks!), but she seriously bit 2 friends of mine on the leg (and this was proper biting - not just a nip) so she had to go.
Now I'm not saying they are all like that, and obviously there's been a lot of different breeding introduced since the droving days,  but it's something you need to be aware of.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 11:51:35 am »
Definitely want a border collie  :thumbsup:

« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 12:35:28 pm by Sbom »

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 12:28:30 pm »
Just a word of warning about Welsh sheepdogs.
As they were originally bred as drovers' dogs - used to drive cattle to the London meat markets - they can be a bit handy at snapping at humans' legs as well as cattle.
I got one once from a Collie Rescue in Wales. She was amazing as a working dog. Could handle any cattle and would load the sheep in 2 tiers high in the trailer (and that was without decks!), but she seriously bit 2 friends of mine on the leg (and this was proper biting - not just a nip) so she had to go.
Now I'm not saying they are all like that, and obviously there's been a lot of different breeding introduced since the droving days,  but it's something you need to be aware of.
hey, hey, hey  it depends on breeding ya know... All of mine have been brilliant. Rhosyn has a very good temperament, hasn't snapped once. If you buy from a good breeder, like adeline jones or emma mogford, to name but 2, you can garantee a fantastic animal. They do work different to a border, more loose eyed, but are brilliant animals to have around
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2017, 10:06:04 pm »
If you look again, you'll see that I did say that there are differences in breeding and that they are not all like the one I had, but I just mentioned it as a possibility. Mine also was a brilliant sheepdog but if you look up the general characteristics of Welsh as opposed to Border Collies, it is mentioned that the former are more prone (not guaranteed!) to be a bit handy with their teeth because of their original purpose. :dog: :sunshine:
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 09:31:32 pm by landroverroy »
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 10:24:44 pm »
If you look again, you'll see that I did say that there are differences in breeding and that they are not all like the one I had, but I just mentioned it as a possibility. Mine also was a brilliant sheepdog but if you look up the general characteristics of Welsh as opposed to Border Collies, it is mentioned that the former are more prone (not guaranteed!) to be a bit handy with their teeth because of their original purpose. :dog: :sunshine:

That explains a lot about our locally produced Welsh sheepdog / Goldie cross mutt. At 30 kg he's not to be trusted if I'm not there ?
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 04:33:40 pm »
All dogs will bite if they aren't brought up right!  I would suspect that is the problem you are seeing not an inherent welsh issue (mine is as loving as anything and wouldnt hurt a fly).

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2017, 10:22:34 am »
Hi Sbom,

Have you found a suitable dog yet?

Is Mid Wales too far for you to travel?

If you want to PM me I can pass on the details of my neighbour.
Not certain whether or not he has the ideal dog for you at the moment but he would be worth having a chat with. He works, trains and trials.

He has lots of contacts too.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2017, 02:58:36 pm »
Not sorted yet..
Literally just got back from mid wales! My mum lives there so not to far to travel at all

Thanks

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2017, 03:38:09 pm »
Sent you a PM with details.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS