Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pig ark from oil tank  (Read 3809 times)

Olong82

• Joined Sep 2017
Pig ark from oil tank
« on: October 04, 2017, 07:45:33 pm »
I know this has been done before but I am going to be new to pig keeping so wanted some advice. I am thinking of getting an oil tank used for domestic heating oil about a 2500 litre one and then cutting it in half to make an ark. The measurements would be about 2400mm by 1200mm and about 1000mm high. Is this big enough to grow 2 pigs in to get ready for slaughter? Also does it need some kind of insulation or is the plastic good enough? Lastly any good hints when making it.

Thanks in advance

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Pig ark from oil tank
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 07:48:04 pm »
I know this has been done before but I am going to be new to pig keeping so wanted some advice. I am thinking of getting an oil tank used for domestic heating oil about a 2500 litre one and then cutting it in half to make an ark. The measurements would be about 2400mm by 1200mm and about 1000mm high. Is this big enough to grow 2 pigs in to get ready for slaughter? Also does it need some kind of insulation or is the plastic good enough? Lastly any good hints when making it.

Thanks in advance

it's big enough but are you going to make sure it's sufficiently cleaned out?

Olong82

• Joined Sep 2017
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 08:00:26 pm »
Yep was going to jet it out with water and disinfectant maybe even car wash it lol. Was thinking when it is cut in half it will be easy to clean.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 11:03:59 am »
What about a base?  Are you going to be able to round off the cut metal edges?  I wouldn't use a low and fairly narrow metal ark in Summer, unless there was plenty of shade for the pigs to lie in elsewhere - it will turn into a tandoori oven.

Olong82

• Joined Sep 2017
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 01:55:51 pm »
I was looking at the big green plastic ones actually and then screwing a frame around the inside

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 12:39:10 am »
We used one of those giant black orange juice barrels (?1000 litres) cut in half with a wooden frame and slightly raised sides. Ours was about £100 at the time but I believe the price has gone up since then.  Our Tamworths were not being raised for slaughter so maybe they got bigger than edible pigs, but they very soon got so they carried the thing around on their backs - great fun but not the idea.  Now we use them for lamb acrobatics.  An oil tank should be heftier and sturdier than the black barrel.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Cuddles

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 12:56:31 pm »
I've used a 1000 litre tank for the past few years.  Its had 2 100kg OSB's in last year and 4 kune kune's the year before without any problem.  I just cut a door in the front and drilled a good few ventilation holes around the sides.  When they are still small I usually put a square bale in the tank as well to deter them from using some of the extra space as a toilet area but other than that they always seemed happy and healthy.

congerchamp

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 08:53:09 am »
I have used green heating oil storage tanks for pig arks. Try to get some with a flat base a lot of them are ribbed. I just cut a opening in one end with chainsaw or jigsaw easy. I can send you some pictures if like. You can usually get the tanks for free on preloved but often you will need to drain a couple of hundred litres of oil out and get rid of. Always handy to start a fire

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 07:34:01 pm »
I can send you some pictures if like.

Yes please!  :thumbsup: Can you post them to the thread perhaps?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS