Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Just a thorght  (Read 6267 times)

kazchick

• Joined Jul 2010
  • essex
Just a thorght
« on: July 12, 2010, 04:23:33 pm »
  ??? How much land do you need to house a goat. please. :goat:

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: Just a thorght
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 04:31:15 pm »

Goats shouldn't be kept by themselves.

kazchick

• Joined Jul 2010
  • essex
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 04:43:03 pm »

Goats shouldn't be kept by themselves.   Yes they get to lonely, but was wondering, how much land would they require.
many thanks 
[/quo
te]

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 05:08:04 pm »
A lot of people manage on very little land, such as a garden, and goats will readily adapt.  Must be well fenced though!!  If its a small space, then there is extra work bringing in green feed, in the form of grass, branches etc, and they need a constant supply of hay too.

At my old house, I had about one third of an acre, and had 6 goats living there.  They came in every night, and had access to hay all the time, and I gave them plenty of leaves from the trees.  Kept them in over winter to allow the grass to grow again, and it worked well for me.  So, a small paddock that size, would keep two goats easily.

Also the size of the plot depends on the size of the goat.  For example, pygmy goats need a lot less space, that the large rangey dairy breeds, who like to have space.

kazchick

• Joined Jul 2010
  • essex
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 05:47:13 pm »
A lot of people manage on very little land, such as a garden, and goats will readily adapt.  Must be well fenced though!!  If its a small space, then there is extra work bringing in green feed, in the form of grass, branches etc, and they need a constant supply of hay too.

At my old house, I had about one third of an acre, and had 6 goats living there.  They came in every night, and had access to hay all the time, and I gave them plenty of leaves from the trees.  Kept them in over winter to allow the grass to grow again, and it worked well for me.  So, a small paddock that size, would keep two goats easily.

Also the size of the plot depends on the size of the goat.  For example, pygmy goats need a lot less space, that the large rangey dairy breeds, who like to have space.
thanks so much roxy, thats great advice I have a acre of land , well garden. Ill get my chickens first and do lots of reading on goats, as they are a firm favorite of mine
thanks roxy. :wave:

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 05:51:54 pm »
An acre is lots for goats, you will fall in love with them the second you get them and only want more... :)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 09:26:10 pm »
If you know of a goatkeeper nearby go and visit them, great advice and seeing how others are doing it.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 11:32:08 pm »
Kazchick - sounds like you have plenty of space for a couple of goats in your large garden.  Just one point to mention .....make sure that you know what is poisonous in your garden, to goats.  Laurel, yew, rhodedendrum, privet, to name a few.  And remember, goats will eat ANYTHING growing in your garden, including your nice plants and flowers, so it would be a good idea to fence anything precious (or poisonous) so it will not get eaten!!

kazchick

• Joined Jul 2010
  • essex
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 01:51:23 pm »
Kazchick - sounds like you have plenty of space for a couple of goats in your large garden.  Just one point to mention .....make sure that you know what is poisonous in your garden, to goats.  Laurel, yew, rhodedendrum, privet, to name a few.  And remember, goats will eat ANYTHING growing in your garden, including your nice plants and flowers, so it would be a good idea to fence anything precious (or poisonous) so it will not get eaten!!

Thanks Roxy.  Got a book to day on Goats wondering  if you can get rescue ones, Also email rescue chicken web site
Great information.
Talk Soon. :wave:

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 02:52:36 pm »
Yes, there are rescue goats people are happy to rehome.  In fact I took a lot in last year, making my goat herd up to 22, including this years kids.  But remember, sometimes they are rehoming the goats because of a problem - more than likely they are escape artists. Although I genuinly had to sell/rehome some of mine recently due to health problems and the fact we are downsizing when we move.

Before getting goats, read books, visit goat keepers........make sure you have the time/money/space for goats before going ahead.  I am saying this, because a lot of the goats I took in were up for rehoming for the above reasons, people did not realise how much work was involved.

As to rescue hens.  I am a co ordinator for an ex battery hen rescue.  If you look on the website, there are collection points for hens all over the country. Next rescue is 24th June.  There is an application form on line.  Here is the link

www.henrehomers.net

kazchick

• Joined Jul 2010
  • essex
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 03:31:13 pm »
Yes, there are rescue goats people are happy to rehome.  In fact I took a lot in last year, making my goat herd up to 22, including this years kids.  But remember, sometimes they are rehoming the goats because of a problem - more than likely they are escape artists. Although I genuinly had to sell/rehome some of mine recently due to health problems and the fact we are downsizing when we move.

Before getting goats, read books, visit goat keepers........make sure you have the time/money/space for goats before going ahead.  I am saying this, because a lot of the goats I took in were up for rehoming for the above reasons, people did not realise how much work was involved.

As to rescue hens.  I am a co ordinator for an ex battery hen rescue.  If you look on the website, there are collection points for hens all over the country. Next rescue is 24th June.  There is an application form on line.  Here is the link

www.henrehomers.net
thanks Roxy..And will do Ill do lots of research, im lucky I have a lot of people with experience around me so i will ask them lots and lots of questions, and read to.. These animals are something I have thought a bout for a good few years now. I am now luck to have the space at last.
and that website for rescue chickens is great\Thanks   Roxy :wave:

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2010, 08:30:00 pm »
Hi.  I got my 3 goats from two different RSPCA branches.  If you are keeping goats in a garden or anywhere else and you want to section off areas an electric fence is the best option.  My two young girls took a few trips over our dry stone walls down the lane to our house so we had to take action.  Once they got into the garden and just grabbed anything to eat.  It happened to be a Japonica plant and she got sick.  Luckily the vet said it wasn't serious but she had a poorly tummy for a couple of days. 

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2010, 04:15:55 pm »
we have 3 in about half an acre that we have fenced off for them. there were 4 but the fences that we thought were good, weren't and one boy got out, ate something and died. we are now electrified and touch wood, escapes are rare!!
I got mine through a private sale as I specifically wanted milking goats so took a nanny and 3 kids. we use the milk now for drinking and making soap!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

kazchick

• Joined Jul 2010
  • essex
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2010, 05:17:04 pm »
Hi.  I got my 3 goats from two different RSPCA branches.  If you are keeping goats in a garden or anywhere else and you want to section off areas an electric fence is the best option.  My two young girls took a few trips over our dry stone walls down the lane to our house so we had to take action.  Once they got into the garden and just grabbed anything to eat.  It happened to be a Japonica plant and she got sick.  Luckily the vet said it wasn't serious but she had a poorly tummy for a couple of days. 
:wave: Thanks very much cinderhlls,  will get electric fence for sure..... need to read up lots first never hered of a japonica plant, read up about what can harm goats as well.
many thanks great advice. :llama:

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2010, 06:01:32 pm »
we have 3 in about half an acre that we have fenced off for them. there were 4 but the fences that we thought were good, weren't and one boy got out, ate something and died. we are now electrified and touch wood, escapes are rare!!
I got mine through a private sale as I specifically wanted milking goats so took a nanny and 3 kids. we use the milk now for drinking and making soap!

How awful for you.  I know we were very lucky with ours but I would have been devastated.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS