Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Acorns ....Free if you pay the P&P  (Read 2455 times)

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
Acorns ....Free if you pay the P&P
« on: October 03, 2017, 07:53:55 pm »
We have a rather large oak tree at the bottom of our garden  . This year has seen it produce more acorns than in the whole of the last 12 years .

I've been sweeping them up off the concrete path once I've blown the leaves off them  crunching a few dozen here & there as I walked over them to the furthest point .

I've already  dropped three buckets full of acorns in the composter & added a rotting compound .

Today I had a thought when I was sweeping up some of the latest fall of these last three buckets ( another three or more to go as well perhaps ).

If any of you want a pint jug or so of acorns  to plant let me know . P&P expected to be just under a fiver .
 I could also do a couple of 5 x 7 x 10 inch ( 300 or so teabag ) sort of sized boxes too but I'm thinking the P&P may be close to a tenner .

Obviously there will still be a few small stones & a few acorn cups in what you get but I am removing most leaves & twigs & have run everything across a 1/4 " sieve mesh to remove any sand etc .

If your interested drop me a PM  with your full name & address etc & tell me how many you'd like .

Now is the best time to plant down a dibbered heeled in hole or you can put them inthe fridge at 3 oC  for 4 weeks to stratify them so that as you plant them the acorns wake up in the warmer soil &  grow like buggggggery.

Dave

« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 11:03:30 pm by cloddopper »
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
Re: Acorns ....Free if you pay the P&P
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 12:40:34 am »
First box of acorns sent up north this morning . 2.44 kg  express 2 day delivery .

That was a big surprise  I didn't realize they would weigh so much .  I didn't like the five working day option at two pounds  fifty less though as  seven or so days in the parcel force /Mail system is not conducive to a parcel being in a fit state no matter how well it was packed & taped up .

I've spent much of the afternoon  cleaning up yet another big acorn drop I must have almost 25 kg of them by now & there are still three more piles to clean up & remove .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 07:40:35 am »
I've found courier much cheaper than post office for parcels .... Worth checking?
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 09:10:00 am »
Having been caught out after sending things I'd sold on eBay a few times, it's all about the dimensions, and under 2kg is cheaper. For post office, small parcel, it needs to be a box something like a maximum of 15cm deep ( x bigger than A4 on the other sides) .  It's worth googling and measuring as otherwise it's a fair bit more expensive.

Let me see if I can find a good tree up here, if not I'll take some off you. It's been a good year for beech, but the conkers are poorer and not yet found a good tree for acorns.

zwartbles

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 04:10:05 pm »
www.uk.interparcel.com 

Recommended. We use them frequently and they have always been good.

As an agency they seem to be cheaper and easier than dealing with UPS, DHL, Hermes, fedex etc direct.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 10:19:21 pm »
Sally , ( docsal ) have you received the parcel yet ?
It's now way overdue if you haven't had it . please let me know the state of play .

docsal

• Joined Feb 2017
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 11:53:38 am »
Thanks - I am on holiday at the moment but my sister says they have arrived. For what it's worth, it seems very well worth the cost of postage for such a large amount of acorns and your planting advice is much appreciated!

animalcrackers

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2017, 07:19:32 pm »
Have you still got any acorns available?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS