Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goat feed questions?  (Read 7828 times)

New Riverside Farm

• Joined Aug 2017
Goat feed questions?
« on: October 03, 2017, 10:45:25 am »
Hello again,

Sorry if these are so basic and common sense. Not to me yet but want to learn and keep my beauties happy and healthy! Here is a few questions:

1. Difference between haylage and hay? Is haylage ok for goats?

2. With their concentrates - how do you determine amount? Young goats - told one scoop in the morn, and one in the evening. Does this change with weight and age? If so, what's the formula?

3. Copper - goat feed should have it? Have a salt lick but if they don't use it when should I worry and do more? And what's that more - a bolus? Sounds a little scary and if I don't know if they have enough - could it be too much?

4. Should I get my land tested? To be honest they don't tend to eat much from the ground...they rather prefer their concentrates, trees - they get goat willow, ash, elm (is sycamore ok? - haven't tried it on them), small amount of apples (can they have too many apples?) - are the trees/leaves ok?, hay and they often eat their straw bedding when it's put down.

I'll start here with these - then I might ask more with the responses I get : )

Many thanks!!

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
Re: Goat feed questions?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 12:43:33 pm »
I 've noticed they only like certain types of grasses.
My ones only started eating more grass recently, not sure Why?
When you let them loose they eat sycamore, ash, brambles, roses and bindweed (their favourite!), docks, spinach, dandelions and plenty other weeds and nearly all trees (be careful around fruit trees as they will decimate them if not protected!).
On different days they prefer to eat different things, perhaps they know which plant has which nutrients that they require? I rarely give them any hay  (untill winter).
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

New Riverside Farm

• Joined Aug 2017
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 02:45:38 pm »
The fruit trees would only be limbs I've cut off - so it would be apple tree leaves, if that is ok for them.

Do I need to be careful about how many apples they get in case of bloat?

I cut them up very small - no pips - so they don't choke on them. But generally only share 1 apple across 3 goats but I have loads to use (which I will for many recipes too!) but it would be great to feed them but don't want to overdo it either! They love them - so I'd be at real risk that they could overeat them if given the chance.

They like brambles but not overly much, no nettles - unfortunately.

Do you know if haylage is ok?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 03:16:13 pm »

Careful with haylage - hay much better as almost zero risk wrt listeriosis. Large commercial herds feed haylage as hay often difficult to get hold of, but then of course a small number of goats contracting (and most likely not surviving ..) is not too bad, whereas for the small scale keeper even the loss of one goat is difficult to accept. Listeriosis can of course be caught from the soil too, as  that's where the bacteria live, but much less likely than from (badly) made haylage. Not worth the risk. Having said that I do sometimes (during the show season) feed Horsehage Alfalfa haylage to up the milk a bit - expensive though....

Re Copper - there is a lot of discussion/hype in the goat community atm, easiest way is to a) feed a dairy cow ration with added copper (18% protein dairy nuts) and have a red rockie available - that's all mine have and it has worked well for the last  (nearly) 10 years. Unless you are in an area with serious deficiencies (speak to your vet, not your local agri merchant - they love to sell all sorts of supplements to you!), I personally would stay well clear of bolussing.

If you buy in the vast part of their feed - hay, concentrates and collect greenery from outside your holding, then testing your land may not be of much value....

My goats do love all sort of vegetables - they get carrots every day in autumn/winter (a large bag of pony carrots lasts about a week for 12 adults and 7 kids), plus cabbage, bananas and apples. I tend to restrict apples to about half per goat every other day, just it is quite acidic. All cut into thin sticks/slices.

New Riverside Farm

• Joined Aug 2017
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 06:19:57 pm »
Is the acidic piece to the apples affect the milk or is it digestive related? They aren't milking yet so there is no worry there for the moment.

I feed them goat concentrates which in theory has copper. Is that enough? I don't do sheep feed which I understand could be used but being a newbie, I just don't know enough to really be able to use experience to balance diets - so I keep it simple. Someday when I am as good as everyone on here, I may dabble with knowledge and experience in my pocket but for now, I want simple and gives them what they need. It would seem the concentrates would do that - but I am not really sure.

I'll try them on some other items...we'll see how it goes, we're discovering what things they like and don't like!

Thanks for the info on the haylage. I saw someone nearby selling it for a good price - so wondered if it's a good and maybe healthier option - but since losing my girls isn't an option, I won't do that!

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Notts / Yorkshire border
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 07:32:02 pm »
As Anke said be careful with Haylage friend lost her best show buck within a month of using it for the first time
If you have a plentiful supply of apples google making cider viniger  great for preventing bloat

Copper goats do not get sufficient copper from licks alone, and i have a few that wont use them
Main concentrate with copper added is beef nuts and it varies considerably between brands
Bolus it is a easy as drenching there is a rubber tube you attach to drench gun fill with water and away
Kids from 3 months i just open mouth and push to back of throat, goats need substantially more copper than sheep Been bolusing mine for 6 months now and you can see the benefit

Majority of goat keepers would not spot copper deficiency until it is substantial.
I asked my vet and he said just use common sense and trial and error on cautious side 

New Riverside Farm

• Joined Aug 2017
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2017, 06:09:11 pm »
What about sufficient copper from feed? If it is a proper goat feed - which should have copper, is that sufficient? They do not touch their lick at all...so want to be sure they are getting the sufficient copper and I've no idea how to tell. There doesn't appear to be any signs but then as many say, you won't know till it is far in. So does goat feed which has cooper ok?

Also, how much goat feed do they need? I was told one scoop in the morn and one in the evening.

I am not sure I'd like to do the bolus route as I am not that skilled and want to get a few more months under my feet before trying things like that - these girls, the one especially, is very touchy about getting things placed in their mouth, hooves trimmed...I'd need to get them a little more handled before trying to get anything down their throat. They are super friendly but not yet 'med friendly' so would the next alternative be a beef nut?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2017, 08:57:43 pm »
What breed f goats are they and how old?

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2017, 07:26:30 am »
Would check the label on your goat mix
when i read mine i was surprised it did not contain added copper.
Calf/beef nuts do
You could always get Caprivite, its a powder to sprinkle on food
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Caprivite-4kg-Bkt-Vitamin-mineral-feed-supplement-Goats-/350220102427?epid=1163181171&hash=item518abeab1b:g:59UAAOSwQItUGVDb
Try find it at local supplier to save postage

Copper deficiency is easier to spot on a black goat ,color starts getting a rust tinge hair on top of neck gets courser  , hair on tail looks like a fish tail and if you look at the tip it is bald
On or brown goat boer it would be less noticeable
See link below that is a extreme case

http://thriftyhomesteader.com/goats-and-copper-deficiency/
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 08:02:46 am by mart6 »

New Riverside Farm

• Joined Aug 2017
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2017, 12:46:36 pm »
Thank you mart6 for that information! I looked on my goat feed and it isn't clear to me if it has it or doesn't.

I don't see copper as part of it, but I do see Cuprio Sulphate Penahydrate (sorry if this is misspelled the writing is so unclear and it tears along the seal so hard to keep the label in tact).

It also says not to feed to sheep - which if I understand from what I've read - sheep shouldn't have copper, so leads me to believe this may do? Or that could be a red herring that I am reading that, assuming one thing, when it means another!

Not sure if anyone is familiar with this brand - Stephensons Animal Feed in Todmorden?

New Riverside Farm

• Joined Aug 2017
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2017, 12:48:06 pm »
Hi Anke,

They are golden guernsey and guernsey cross with toggs. They are about 6 months old now.

Many thanks!

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2017, 06:44:29 pm »
Thank you mart6 for that information! I looked on my goat feed and it isn't clear to me if it has it or doesn't.

I don't see copper as part of it, but I do see Cuprio Sulphate Penahydrate (sorry if this is misspelled the writing is so unclear and it tears along the seal so hard to keep the label in tact).

It also says not to feed to sheep - which if I understand from what I've read - sheep shouldn't have copper, so leads me to believe this may do? Or that could be a red herring that I am reading that, assuming one thing, when it means another!

Not sure if anyone is familiar with this brand - Stephensons Animal Feed in Todmorden?

Its copper
http://www.nordfeed.com/copper-sulphate.html

This may be better for the novice tell tale signs
Get hold of tail move hair if you can see a pink tip at the end then it probably is copper shortage will try and find some photos would not let me link photos see link below

https://www.backyardherds.com/threads/mineral-deficiency-picture-heavy.5839/

1Rust colored tinge to coat

2Rust colored tinge to coat

3Fish tail
Get hold of tail move hair if you can see a pink tip at the end then it probably is copper shortage

5Rough coat
Hair coarser than normal, normally shows at top of neck first
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 07:41:33 pm by mart6 »

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2017, 09:00:48 pm »

Hi Anke,

They are golden guernsey and guernsey cross with toggs. They are about 6 months old now.

Many thanks!

My two 6 month old GG kids will get about a scoop-ful of dairy nuts (18% protein), rolled oats and some soaked shreds (one scoop in total for all three feedstuffs) between them three times a day. Plus a couple of handfuls of either readigrass or Alpha A.  Not sure that makes sense but I don't usually weigh any food. They also have hay ad-lib, and at the moment still get a bottle last thing at night.

New Riverside Farm

• Joined Aug 2017
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2017, 11:21:27 am »
Wow - they still get a bottle a night? I wouldn't have that ability to give them a bottle as I don't have the (or a ) mum for that.

They have hay ad lib, I do a scoop of goat feed - which I imagine has some of those, like oats, it has grass nuts?, maize, molasses, items - per goat, once in the morning, and once in the evening. The goat feed place - when I called them - suggested a kilo a day per goat. Does this sound right? Obviously I am cautious and go on the assumption less is better as that way they don't get bloat.

I'll have to look at what readigrass and Alpha A are! : )

I want to be sure they are getting proper nutrition without overdosing and haven't a clue if I am keeping a good balance or too, too low? As I said, I like to err on the side of less - but not too much and it sounds like I might be??

New Riverside Farm

• Joined Aug 2017
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2017, 12:04:02 pm »
Sorry - one other question - related to feed, but not in response to the others just now! : )

Can goats eat cucumber leaves? I've got a lot of cuc plants, with excess vines, leaves and eventually need to clear down for the winter.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS