Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Injecting ewes  (Read 1845 times)

Danny

• Joined Jan 2017
Injecting ewes
« on: October 03, 2017, 01:03:50 pm »
I have recently brought 3 herdwicks ewes. This will be their first time in with the ram. They've never been hepetaved and I was wondering weather they should have their first double dose before they go in with the ram? Thank you Daniel

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Injecting ewes
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 02:16:03 pm »
Yes give them a dose this week then again in 4-6 weeks. Then heptavac again 4-6wks before lambs are due and then yearly pre lambing after that. Doing them now means you aren't stressing and jabbing them twice when in lamb.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 02:56:21 pm »
Yes give them a dose this week then again in 4-6 weeks. Then heptavac again 4-6wks before lambs are due and then yearly pre lambing after that. Doing them now means you aren't stressing and jabbing them twice when in lamb.

I know what you're saying, twizzel, but another time that you really don't want to stress them is shortly after they go to the tup, stress then could easily cause lack of implantation. 

If you can hold off lambing until April, the safest option would be one now and again in 4 weeks, and then put the tup in.  And if you really want to be super-safe, a booster 4-6 weeks before lambing.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 07:04:56 pm »
Yes the original poster made it look like he was going to do them before the ram goes in. I wouldn't do it if they are already in the middle of tupping.

nimbusllama

• Joined Nov 2010
  • Near Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 08:26:34 am »
The most logical plan for me would be to do the following.  Assuming they are going to lamb in April,  I would give them their first jab sometime in early to mid January, then 4-6 weeks later around mid February give them their second jab.  This will be 4-6 weeks before lambing so give the maximum transferred protection for the lambs.  I would keep the number of injections to a minimum as it is not possible to use the same bottle for both injections and it is around £25 a time, which is expensive for only 3 ewes.  Hopefully they might be tame enough then, to not be unduly stressed.  Possibly try to find someone to share the doses with?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 09:02:25 am by nimbusllama »

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS