Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sick wether  (Read 1604 times)

Lara B

• Joined Sep 2017
Sick wether
« on: September 27, 2017, 12:07:15 pm »
Hello to all.  I have a seven year old Dorset horn wether who has been under the weather since Sunday. He is not eating nor drinking. The vet has been and his temp is ok, teeth ok but the vet suspects arthritis. He's had a long acting painkiller , yesterday, but is no brighter today. Worm count was done in July and is low, fluke hasn't been done since the rains came. Usually he's a vocal greedy boy but now he has a hangdog expression. I'd be really very grateful if anyone has any ideas on what may be wrong with him please.
I've read the forum on this site for some time and always found it interesting but thought I would register now as I'm a bit stuck with this wether.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Sick wether
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 03:58:48 pm »
A shot of vitamins is usually helpful. Or a vitamins and minerals drench. 

:fc: to you both :hugsheep:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 05:59:36 pm »
Eaten something dodgy in the field??

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 09:40:56 pm »
If he's neither eating nor drinking you need to get something into him fast or speculating on the cause of his problem will be superfluous.   I suggest rehydration fluid or twin lamb drench administered slowly via a drench gun.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS