Author Topic: Mutton  (Read 7392 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Mutton
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2017, 05:30:51 am »
I think you might end up with jerky if you hang a Castlemilk for 14 days. They don't carry much fat ;).  I'd hang for 5 or 6 days, maybe 7 if they're well-covered.

The taste will be awesome, anyone who gets some will want to go on your waiting list for next time :yum:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

milliebecks

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2017, 05:25:03 pm »
Hope this isn't a daft question, but can you tell the difference between mutton and hogget visually? Does the meat darken with age? I'm planning to send two 16month old shetland hoggs away with 2 of my ewes (3 and 4 yo), and wondered whether I need to ask the slaughterhouse to process them separately.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2017, 07:00:41 pm »
Hope this isn't a daft question, but can you tell the difference between mutton and hogget visually? Does the meat darken with age? I'm planning to send two 16month old shetland hoggs away with 2 of my ewes (3 and 4 yo), and wondered whether I need to ask the slaughterhouse to process them separately.

In my experience, they struggle to distinguish between any animals of the same species. Even if one's a Zwartbles and one a Shetland :/
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

TheSmilingSheep

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2017, 07:56:46 pm »
milliebecks, I would ask the slaughterhouse to ensure that their numbers are kept, and that the butcher cut them and bag them in accordance with those numbers.  You very probably wont be able to tell the hoggets from the muttons (grammar???) unless their identified separately by their numbers.

milliebecks

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2017, 08:57:11 pm »
Thanks. I thought that might be the case  ::)

Do you think I'll get away with 'the white ones' and 'the brown ones'?  :-\

It would be such a shame to find out once they were cooked ...... badly

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2017, 11:30:18 am »
milliebecks, I would ask the slaughterhouse to ensure that their numbers are kept, and that the butcher cut them and bag them in accordance with those numbers.  You very probably wont be able to tell the hoggets from the muttons (grammar???) unless their identified separately by their numbers.

Good luck with that :/

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2017, 07:30:13 pm »
My butcher is the slaughterhouse and he is very good at keeping track of who is who.  I send them in labeled 1,2,3 ect and how the customer would like their sheep cut up.  So far all has gone well.

TheSmilingSheep

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2017, 11:34:01 am »
Similarly, I've had all my hoggets returned butchered in bags with their respective numbers on.  I did ask in advance, and explained why, and they were fine about it.....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS