Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New to pigs  (Read 1665 times)

SmallWelshBarn

• Joined Sep 2014
New to pigs
« on: September 25, 2017, 08:11:07 am »
So for the last few months I have had some one else pigs& a few sheep on my land large whites. I thought it would be good preparation for keeping my own. 6 boys and three girls. I have two sections of land that are ideal for pigs. Forest canopy loads of stuff for them to root up. They all settled in well and no escapes. The boys went of for slaughter about a month ago. I was a little sad as they were so cute.
The girls were a different story they are so friendly would come over for a scratch roll over on to their tummies for a scratch and come running out of the woodland when called. The two biggest girls soon bonded with us the smaller one not so much.
Can you see where this is going !!!!! Any way it was the weekend they were due to be collected. The chap was on his way ;-( I felt truly sad. I turned to my partner and asked her if she wanted to buy the two big girls. So we are now the owners of our first two girls. We are going to breed from them but try not to get attached to the weaner's. Partner is a farmers daughter so more practical than the city slicker.

Some of you might enjoy this little clip. https://youtu.be/lsYT-1t6DPA

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: New to pigs
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 10:35:17 am »
Have you checked their conformation?  12 or more well spaced teats.  If you join the breed society you'll be helping keep rare breeds going and have a wealth of experience and encouragement on tap.

SmallWelshBarn

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 12:00:12 pm »
Ill have a count up of teats !

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 10:57:34 pm »
Great little film but those are not pure Large White pigs.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS