Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Toilet training  (Read 2412 times)

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
Toilet training
« on: September 24, 2017, 09:45:23 am »
Our sprocker pup is three and a half months old. I'm trying to train her but every morning I am met with :poo:
Any tips please?

smhowie

• Joined May 2014
  • irvine, ayrshire, scotland
Re: Toilet training
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 11:30:58 am »
If she is doing her needs in the one place put puppy pads there and when she use pad start to move outside to where it is ok for her to do her needs giving lots of praise and a small treat when she gets it right. Our seven month collie still makes the occassional pee when excited. So taked time

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 01:49:14 pm »
Thanks both. I do put her out last thing and first thing. Looks like the alarm them!

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 05:37:21 pm »
Is she in a small crate overnight?

It really seems to work. Our bitch was clean straight away and I know of other people having difficulties and the pups have been clean within a few nights of being crated.

Of course, out last thing and not feed too late, as well.

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
  • North coast of Scotland
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 05:47:25 pm »
I second the alarm clock suggestion, it worked brilliantly with our collie - however, it did take until he was 6 or 7 months old before he could manage all night, so be prepared for some sleep deprivation!

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2017, 06:01:01 pm »
Itch we tried the crate but she was very unhappy so we let her sleep on the other dogs bed ( she sleeps at the side of our bed)
I'll just have to get up in the night. I love my sleep! But she does need to be trained. Just for the record (she's not here at present) it was her idea to get another dog :coat:

lintmill

• Joined Sep 2011
  • South Lanarkshire
    • The Lint Mill
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 08:06:02 pm »
Crate Training......we have always done this and never had a problem.
Put them out last thing, pop them in crate and in the morning whizz them out quick style.

House trained in weeks.   

Then crate can go away until next puppy................

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2017, 09:40:02 pm »
Crates are so useful I had one built in under the kitchen counter.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2017, 10:35:00 pm »
Our friends had problems with their new dog pooing in the kitchen. They read on a forum somewhere that you're supposed to rub the puppy's face in it, and then throw them outside into the garden to show them that that's the proper place.

I was in their kitchen having coffee one day, when the dog crapped next to the tumble drier, sniffed at it, whimpered a little, and then jumped out of the window  :roflanim: .
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

waddy

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2017, 10:52:34 pm »
Ours was dry from the start in the crate but we had problems out of it. Training pads she found were great fun to shred. I discovered the disinfectant spray I was using contained an ammonia compound. I was like spraying a go here sign all round the kitchen. You will get there eventually!

:thumbsup:
Helen

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS