Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Draxxin withdrawal  (Read 3299 times)

mariegold

• Joined Jan 2013
Draxxin withdrawal
« on: September 20, 2017, 09:30:25 am »
Hi goaty people. One of my girls has had a persistent cough in the mornings only for a few weeks. The vet prescribed draxxin. Has anyone else used this product? She's a milking goat so I'd like to know the withdrawal period if possible?
She still has the cough.... But seems totally fine in every other way. The vet suggested I should tb test! Our goats are more like pets really and I'd hate to get a reactor and have to send them to the abattoir. Oh what to do???

mariegold

• Joined Jan 2013
Re: Draxxin withdrawal
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 10:42:05 am »
Thanks Scarlet Dragon. I've recently wormed them so I don't think it's lung worm. She only coughs in the morning after eating her concentrate whilst being milked. Actually, it's just occurred to me that's she's the only one on concentrate and the only one coughing!!!! But she doesn't cough in the evening after being fed.... Mmmmm.
I'm extra nervous about tb testing as I know that cows sometimes show a positive reaction but in fact don't have tb. That said I don't want any animal to suffer. Is it possible to have tb positive goats put to sleep on the farm rather than send them to the abattoir?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 11:59:06 am »

I would just stay calm for the moment and 1st - test the efficacy of your wormer and if still worm eggs present, get them identified. Which wormer did you use and at what dose? Can you weigh your goats and dose accurately?

If you look through the possible diagnoses for coughs in goats in John Matthews' book TB is the last of quite a few causes..., so no panic!

2nd - I would get a second opinion, also the GVS has issued guidelines for small herds - do you tick on any of these ?

http://www.goatvetsoc.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/TB-IN-GOATS-SMALL-HERD.pdf

The suggestion for a TB test from a vet may also just be to cover their backs, so I wouldn't rush into it. Do you move animals (cattle or other goats) on/off your premises a lot? Any infected cattle herd nearby?

Goats that had chest infections when young quite often continue to cough as adults... I have one that coughs a lot, but we think it is actually food related, as in that she gets stuff going the wrong way...

Draxxin is a pretty tough AB, so I would have thought it clears any infection. I don't think we know very much about food allergies in goats.... Do you feed a mix, and is it quite fine? Maybe damping it down a bit with molassy water may help?

Sorry no clear advice, in general milk withdrawal is taken at 7 days if none given/indicated on the packaging.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 12:00:04 pm »
PS.: Lungworm is an end of summer/autumn problem....

mariegold

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 12:53:18 pm »
Thanks Anke, I will take a poo sample to the vets tomorrow. I used 9mls of eprizero which covers lungworm. She's a saanen type goat. I'll try and work out her weight.
I live in Gloucestershire, there is a lot of tb about but no cows anywhere near the goats. There are a lot of badgers. I'll get in touch with the vet and see what my options are. Thanks again

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 07:16:20 pm »

mariegold

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2017, 04:54:35 pm »
I spoke with a different vet today and she also thought that a tb test would be the wisest thing. They have to get the go ahead from the ministry first! And then book in for next week.
She said I'd given the right dose of wormer so it's unlikely to be lung worm. Also, the draxxin made no difference so it's unlikely to be an infection.
A few years back a couple of of alpacas (or lamas) had tb and had to be culled. They were only two fields away. So I guess it's possible :(

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS