Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goat wormer  (Read 2576 times)

Danny

• Joined Jan 2017
Goat wormer
« on: September 19, 2017, 01:21:47 pm »
Hi guys, what's the best worker for goats?

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
Re: Goat wormer
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 04:09:39 pm »
I'm not sure if its still the case or not, but I don't think that any wormers are licenced for goats? Advice from my vets are to double up on a sheep wormer dose. Best to speak to your own vet really.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 05:28:32 pm »
I think I saw a chart where one wormer you don't double up. I Could be wrong but worth finding out.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 08:07:26 pm »

Unless you have been keeping goats for a while it would be advisable to get an FEC count done (through your vets), and the get them to advise. Goats will need a higher dose of (sheep)wormer, and an oral one is the usual recommendation.

White wormers do now seem to have a lot of resistance problems, so very few people are using them. Avermectins(like Oramec - twice sheep dose, but make sure you know the weight of your goat) or yellow wormers (1.5 times sheep dose) are usually used.

As no wormers are licensed for goats (except for Eprinex pour-on), your vet should be able to prescribe one for you.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 08:23:19 pm »
Legally you can't buy wormers for goats without a Vets prescription.  When you buy wormers for sheep from a registered supplier they will (should) ask how many sheep is it for etc and cannot legally sell it to you for goats without a prescription.

So at the very least check with your Vet what wormer and dose to,use and should you repurpose ???  some from your sheep at least you know you have the right info.

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 08:05:42 am »
As others have said if your vet is unsure of dosages or any goat health problems they can phone goat veterinary society. This is a useful link with a table of dosages for goats http://www.goatvetsoc.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Goat-Health-Planning-DH.pdf

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS