Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pheasants  (Read 2447 times)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Pheasants
« on: September 19, 2017, 11:56:44 am »
A few days ago, a real downpour, noticed a pheasant very wet and miserable. I soak whole wheat for the hens so gave some to pheasant. Following evening it was there, so fed it on a big plastic board.
Following evening I was cleaning goats out, pheasant came looking for me. I went round to the house to get some food for it. Now, I went sort of 3 sides of square to go round to the house and down to plastic board, pheasant had cut across the 4th side as was waiting at the board for its food. This morning it was waiting at the house door.
This is getting Scary!

Do male juveniles look like females?  It's female markings but seems to have longer tail?

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
Re: Pheasants
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 01:00:05 pm »
We nearly always have a "pet pheasant". Always called Philip! When one stops coming, another one will take it's place.
Juvenile males have rather mottled markings. Females can still have long tails. Do you have a picture?
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

Alex_

• Joined Jul 2016
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 01:45:03 pm »
Dinner? :hungry:

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 02:07:29 pm »
Dinner? :hungry:
LOL, If male perhaps, but I love them, last couple of years have been hard on youngsters, weather, foxes, crows etc, someone must have driven up the track and hit one, you could see there were eggs there.  :( 
Not such a common sight round here.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 02:19:56 pm »
The Pheasant poult boys still have the male markings but less bright and distinct. The markings of the adult males varies from individual to individual. Different types of pheasant are released around here, including white ones.

The girls do have quite long tails.

We do have tame ones every year. They come running when we call the chickens for corn!

Our neighbour was attacked by a pheasant cock that he was feeding just outside his back door. Started off waiting for breakfast and neighbour was quite fond of him but then turned aggressive!

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 07:22:53 pm »
Personal record one winter was 31 coming for brekkie. Numbers are very much down this year.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS