Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: help! im new to chickens please can someone tell me wats wrong?  (Read 2210 times)

chellebells69

• Joined Jul 2010
Hiya everyone
last week i rescued a cockeral from a next door neighbout, (he was being bullied by their big cockeral) he has been plucked and beaten and looks a little on the rough side but was making good progress until today.
i have started to notice him acting strangely he is running semi free range with 3 hens, but today i noticed him shaking, looking a bit hunched up and walking backwards/unncoordinate and about every 10 seconds yawning, but then he may act normally for a while so it is noy consistant, since i have had him i have never seen him mate any of my hens and he does seem a bit on the quiet side.
Any ideas?
thanks

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: help! im new to chickens please can someone tell me wats wrong?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 11:36:56 pm »
Sounds like he's not well.  Do you have any poultry tonics/spices etc?  If he's Ok in the morning try him with poultry spice, citricidal, cider vinegar.  He may have an infection.  Might need antibiotics from your vet.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Sandy

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 12:04:19 am »
Sounds drunk to me!!! No not kidding I mean, has he been at some old fruit or something else poisonous!!!!! :chook:

whitby_sam

• Joined Feb 2008
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 11:03:49 am »
The "yawning" could be a sign of gape worm. Other symptoms include depression and head shaking.

chellebells69

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 09:06:36 pm »
hiya
thank you guys for your reply, have noticed today that the little chap has mites just to add to his problems.
Thanks Sam Got some flubenvet today so gonna worm him tomorrow and gonna get some louse powder so hopefully that does the trick.
He hasnt been near any old fruit or anything bad for him Sandy (not that i know of anyway).
This poultry spice/cider vinegar? which is better? and is it something that all the chickens can have daily or is if just for sick chickens?

I was reading on the internet something about some kind of drops that u can get for chickens with lice that works in bloodstream and is more effective than trying to cover them in louse powder? does anyone have any recommendations?
thanks again guys
finding this forum really usefull as im a new chicken keeper and still learning
michelle

Sandy

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 10:04:14 pm »
It's all trial and error...My chickens seem to be getting fat!!!!! as we have  a B&B I give them the leftovers of peoples take outs!!! Not too healthy I suspect but they have fun!!! Glad you are sorted, shicken usualy just drop dead!!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 11:21:06 pm »
Try to get a tub of diatomaceous powder - keeps mites etc at bay.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous_earth . I sprinkle it around the shed after cleaning it out with Poultry Shield, don't need much and isn't expensive.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Diatomaceous-Earth-Red-Mite-Poultry-Pest-Powder-500-Tub-/230491458816?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Poultry&hash=item35aa5c8d00

Worm regularly with flubenvet or Verm-x or both (alternatively)

Poultry spice can be given at any time and regularly

Same with cider vinegar - a few drops in their water every day.

Also citricidal (grapefruit extract) is good for all animals.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS