Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Shetland killing weights and good crosses  (Read 2768 times)

westcoastcroft

• Joined Oct 2016
Shetland killing weights and good crosses
« on: September 14, 2017, 02:45:27 pm »
Hi Folks.

Wondering what weights people get for their Shetlands at various ages.

Also thinking of crossing this year and wondering if folk have experience of crossing, what with and what size carcass/age the x's came out at...

Thanks

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Shetland killing weights and good crosses
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 01:09:49 am »
A mature Shetland tup can give 21 kgs deadweight, but sending them off as hogget in their second summer I haven't got anything like that much - more like 15-16kgs.  14kgs at about 12 mo.

I cross with a variety of things.  I'm breeding for fleece and for good breeding stock, but we eat the surpluses so a good carcase is highly desirable.  The best two performers for me are Blue-faced Leicester and Manx. 

Anything crossed with Manx seems to outperform either parent, have really nice fleece, and taste wonderful :yum:

BFL x Shetland is a really useful ewe, most of the fleeces are gorgeous, and on deadweight and conformation, the lambs perform nearly as well as any Mule - just take a bit more time ;)

In Shetland they cross with Cheviot.  Ewes much in demand to put to a terminal sire.  I'd imagine this cross would finish faster than some others, and achieve really good deadweight and conformation - but I've no personal experience of the cross myself.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 08:08:08 am »
People get good results crossing Shetland to a Charmoise, probably the toughest and smallest terminal sire

sheeponthebrain

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Turriff
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 09:49:43 am »
I've always crossed my Shetland with the Suffolk and found them no more trouble at lambing than the mules.  A Suffolk cross Shetland lamb will have no problem reaching 21kg by February.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS