Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: advice please  (Read 3349 times)

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
advice please
« on: September 10, 2017, 09:14:23 am »
Someone to whom I gave 1/2 dozen eggs said they'd like to buy some in future. Can you please tell me what's a fair price? My 3 hens range freely in my garden and beyond and source most of their food themselves, so they are effectively free range organic, though I understand I can't call them such without certification.
Thanks

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: advice please
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 09:20:26 am »
I charge £1.20 for 6 for farmgate sales.  This will probably be rising to £1.40 later in the year, if we have extra feeding and mucking out requirements due to avian influenza restrictions (and I'm already gearing up for that one).

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 03:14:52 pm »
many thanks! :hug:

danccooke

• Joined Jul 2017
  • Maesycrugiau, West Wales
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 05:30:11 pm »
Most of the farm gate sales around here (west wales) are £1.20 for half doz.   Some £1 some £1.40  but mostly £1.20.   If our girls ever start laying and we have extras that is what we will farmgate them at.

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 06:34:25 pm »
thank you too  :hug: - any income from my chooks is an unexpected bonus!

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
  • Says it as it is. don't like it don't look
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 12:02:45 am »

We charge £1.20-1.40 dependant on size & colour, we have just put our Duck eggs up to £1.50
Free range is a tricky one as the land has to have specifics, we call ours farm fresh.
Organic means no chemicals used on the land, in their food or medicines given to them.

In truth who would buy a free range egg if they knew what hens eat, ive seen mine eat, mice, slugs, snails, badger poo

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 12:29:24 am »
£1.20 for 6 here. They fly off the stand at that price though, so we may have been able to charge more. Ours are rare breed and free ranging, although I think the different colours and taste are more of a selling point to people.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2017, 06:23:50 am »
thanks all  :thumbsup: - I'm delighted by the consistency of price, even in the higher band for rare breed / unusual colour / higher production costs.

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2017, 04:05:45 pm »
£1.20 is the bottom price in my opinion far far too low.  10 years ago people were selling around this price.  I think £1.50 is more the norm.  I am more semi commercial £2 for 6.  I have done various costings allowing for the odd med, boxes, buying etc and it costs are higher than you think. 

Sadly if farmers are selling this cheap then they havent sat down to work out overheads (as a farmer I spend a lot of time doing this) Labour, boxes, labels, odd vet, meds, purchase, dispatching, fuel, food, supplements, bedding all add up to around 90p for a box.  Think I worked mine out at £1.20 overheads per box.  Look at the supermarket prices for real free range its around £2 - £2.50.

Dont be ashamed to make a profit if you asked a friend to pop over to decorate yr living home its hardly likely they wont factor in a profit so why should you sell eggs so cheap. 

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2017, 04:38:21 pm »
£1.20 is the bottom price in my opinion far far too low.  10 years ago people were selling around this price.  I think £1.50 is more the norm.  I am more semi commercial £2 for 6.  I have done various costings allowing for the odd med, boxes, buying etc and it costs are higher than you think. 

Sadly if farmers are selling this cheap then they havent sat down to work out overheads (as a farmer I spend a lot of time doing this) Labour, boxes, labels, odd vet, meds, purchase, dispatching, fuel, food, supplements, bedding all add up to around 90p for a box.  Think I worked mine out at £1.20 overheads per box.  Look at the supermarket prices for real free range its around £2 - £2.50.

Dont be ashamed to make a profit if you asked a friend to pop over to decorate yr living home its hardly likely they wont factor in a profit so why should you sell eggs so cheap.

I totally agree and currently mine sell for £1.55  and duck eggs at £1.80 in our local community shop (they take a small profit). However most farm gate prices round here are £1 or at most £1.20 for hen or duck ... because they are 'just selling surplus' but it doesn't help the rest of us pay for our poultry.   
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

DippyEgg

• Joined May 2017
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2017, 06:01:01 pm »
I charge £1 for six.

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2017, 08:01:49 pm »
thanks all for further advice; clearly there's a bit of a range in price, and good reasons for it. My overheads are minimal as they forage for almost all their food, spend v little time in the coop, and to date have had no health issues. Of course, avian flu will change all that if we have to enclose, and anyway when the chooks stop laying for winter no amount of money could produce these wonderful eggs! But for now, we don't eat 3 a day, so 1.20 suits me as well as my friend.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2017, 09:04:43 pm »
I think a key word here is "farmer".  Many smallholders won't have labels, veterinary, dispatching, fuel or supplements costs to worry about.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2017, 03:50:46 pm »
I think it depends on who your selling to, if friends then £1 a half dozen seems fair to me. If farmgate sales then I'd go for £1.20.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS