Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goats for meat?  (Read 4491 times)

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
Goats for meat?
« on: July 21, 2010, 07:57:19 am »
Are all of your goats strictly as pets/dairy, or does anyone rear them as meat? :o :)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: Goats for meat?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 08:00:46 am »
I have 12 goats of various breeds and they are all kept, as are all my animals, as pets. Have never tried goat meat and don't think I have ever been anywhere it has been advertised. Apparantly it is very good but don't think I would like to try although I do eat chicken and ducks and although I keep both these could never eat my own.

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 08:54:53 am »
I'm sure many people have eaten goat in a "meat curry" without even knowing it! The reason I ask is that we were considering sheep but have ben approached by a small family run restaurant who are after goat for their menu. We wouldn't be setting up anything large scale ... just 7 or 8 goats at a time. I have a very secure paddock of about 2 1/2 acres which I plan on rotating to keep the grass in a reasonable condition.

My other half has been at his wits end with one of our paddocks, which is rammed with 5' high nettles so he's liking the idea of putting them to use! :)

chickenfeed

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 07:43:34 am »
 :wave: we eat lots of goat and rear some for meat not large scale just a few. they are slower than lambs to get to slaughter weight but well worth the effort.

we usually only eat kid but this year have had older goats 18 months - 2 1/2 years and they have been very good (all females)

where abouts are you

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 08:22:18 am »
Hi CF - we're in Cornwall, how about you? What would you normally do with the meat, is it stew only or can it be slow roasted? I'd be interested in your experiences! :) :goat:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 10:00:27 am »
Having spent an hour trying to coax an escaped saanen back into our own field from a neighbouring one, I am coming round to the idea LOL!!

seriously though I have had curried goat in Africa and I preferred it to lamb, it was really nice.  one of my neutured boys was intended for meat but here he is, living the life of riley and a very much loved pet.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 10:37:59 am »
I have just started rearing goats for meat - slight hiccup as just had females born this year so will keep them to add to the herd!  4/5 month old kid is like spring lamb - I will keep the billy's and not castrate them, but slaughter around 4/5 months.  We had goat curry last night which I slow pot roasted for 6 hours - delicious!

lazybee

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 11:04:29 am »
I have been working in the middle east for many years. So have eaten goat many times. The best way I have tried is in the form of Shua or Shuah from Oman. I was there for 7 years. They bury the meat underground and slow cook it for up to 2 days. We would have this twice a year for eid or special occasions. Truly something special.

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 02:04:29 pm »
I'm a bit of a pansy when it comes to tiny cute animals ... probably why I ended up with so many pets. I am fully accepting of the fact that they will be here for a certain purpose but I'm terrible for falling in love with anything furry at the drop of a hat.

My OH is under strict instructions to take them away when the time comes. We do a lot of home game butchery but I think it will take me a while with the pigs and goats! :-[

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 09:58:19 pm »
We have decided this year (and probably in future too) to rear males (castrated) for meat, but ours are not meat breeds, but dairy. Not eaten (knowingly) goat before, but very keen to try. Some friends have asked for some too, as they have eaten it in South Africa.

I do believe that it would be a bit of a waste to kill at birth, but not sure what will happen the one year when all of my goats will have males....

chickenfeed

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2010, 07:37:46 am »
 :wave: hi loosey we are in cambridgeshire. if you are ever down this way please feel free to drop in.

we tend to cook the goat as we would lamb we only slow roast the older goats the kid is as tender as any lamb you will eat. the other day we had a leg joint of a goatling i slit the outside here and there and stuffed it with slices of chorizo rubbed a mix of lemon, lime & garlic i cooked it for 4 hours it fell apart and tasted wounderful.

we tend to rear the kids until they are 6-7 months we do casterate the males.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2010, 02:47:57 pm »
Boer goats if you can get hold of them are the best to rear for meat but any unwanted male kid will taste good at around five months old.

pottsie

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2010, 09:47:49 pm »
The wife is originally from Goa so we eat a bit of goat, brought on two last year to eat it was really nice!!!!!!!!!! Make sure your fences are really good they are escape artists.

Rob.  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS