Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: cockerels for the table  (Read 1836 times)

PaulJill

• Joined Jul 2017
cockerels for the table
« on: September 08, 2017, 09:45:45 am »
Hi, we have been given some unwanted cockerels which we are going to bring on for the table. Up to now we have only had hens for the eggs and fed them on layers pellets with a handful of corn every day. What should we feed these on to get the best taste and also putting weight on. Although taste is more important. We are not in a rush so can give them plenty of time. Your advise please, thank you Paul & Jill. 

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: cockerels for the table
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 12:10:36 pm »
Do you know their age, breed and what they've been fed so far?  If one of the old UK breeds like Sussex or Dorking they'll be utility birds, so should flesh out quite well over about 14 weeks.  Older than that they could start to become quite tough and need slow cooking rather than roasting. 

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 12:33:04 pm »
Yup depends on age. If young I would keep feeding growers pellets and for the last two weeks or so feed either finishing pellets (although I never tried) or mix of oats, wheat and corn.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 12:05:20 am »
We feed growers to the cockerels up until about 20 weeks, possibly longer depending on what else is going on. Definitely give them time to rest before freezing/cooking though. The first batch we did plucking took forever  and then gutting after that so they sat for a good long while before freezing. Both made delicious roasts. The second lot we did I used the hot water method to aid in plucking and got them processed a lot quicker but the leg meat is like old boots (breast has been ok though so far). I've now picked up a tall fridge from freecycle that we will hang chickens in before freezing.

Good luck

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS