Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ragwort , which way - dig or spray?  (Read 5410 times)

gingerninja

• Joined Jul 2010
Ragwort , which way - dig or spray?
« on: July 11, 2010, 02:39:24 pm »
Does anyone know if it is best to dig rag or to spray and also does the weed killer pastor , which we use on docks etc ,  kill ragwort?

NLL

• Joined Apr 2010
Re: Ragwort , which way - dig or spray?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 07:57:48 pm »
we have started spraying with round=up but i think pastur would do it.you must realise that ragwort is at its most dangerous stage when it is dying so do not put anything into the field until it has completely gone, which maybe more than six weeks. If you dig it out you may leave some roots which will regrow.I hate the stuff, we have some paddocks that we deep harrowed and reseeded last year which means we disturbed the seed and it is now growing, so we are spraying to kill it.

jacob and Georgina

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 08:12:50 pm »
read in our local paper on Friday that next week is ragwork awareness week, they are asking everyone who finds in to fill in a form stating where and how much etc as they say that it is on the rise at the moment. I think there is a special tool just for digging up ragwort but dont quote me on that??? i only scanned the article so sorry i am a bit vague  ???

jacob and Georgina

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 08:16:50 pm »
here is the link for ragwort awareness week check it out http://www.bhs.org.uk/Press_Centre/BHS_E-NEWS/July_ENEWS/Ragwort_Awareness_Week.aspx  maybe this is of some use to you??? Horse

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 08:53:06 pm »
I knew that the stuff was evil, but I had no idea how bad until today when I was talking to my sister in law, who was in the mounted police.  She told me that you MUST wear gloves if you pull it or manually weed as the toxins in the plant can migrate through your skin and collect in the liver - much more dangerous than I thought for humans!  I knew it was bad for livestock but had no idea how hafil it is to humans too!  Sorry if I am preaching to the converted here but better safe than sorry!  (I shall now be spraying)

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 10:36:45 pm »
Never knew it was toxic to humans darn dug up 4 clumps this weekend and no gloves. I've never seen it on my land before but found these clumps yesterday and today. I bought a ragfork years ago for digging out thistles so thankfully able to get it out. Horrible stuff  don't think folk have to kill it off now do they didn't the law relax?

lazybee

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 09:43:06 am »
Since moving to France, I've changed my thoughts on Ragwort. Everyone in the UK seems paranoid about it. There are many many myths about ragwort in the UK. Yes it is toxic, so are many other plants that are more dangerous. I was told ragwort doesn't grow in France. So finding it growing on my land I took a sample to my vet. It was identified as ragwort Jacobaea vulgaris(herbe de saint Jacques)as I knew. The vet (biggest large animal vet in the area)had to look it up in the veterinary reference book. It was only classified as a medium risk. The book also states that between 5 and 25% of body weight have to be consumed to cause a problem. I still pull it up when I see it though.

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 10:25:29 am »
Always dig it up and burn it! once the seed is in the ground its there for 20 years, so takes a while to get it under control.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS