Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What size trailer for 4 large pigs?  (Read 4463 times)

Justin

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Devon
What size trailer for 4 large pigs?
« on: September 07, 2017, 10:57:01 pm »
This was our second year raising pigs, 2 last year, 3 this year. We've been able to borrow a neighbours trailer up to now for moving them but this year they just wouldn't get in the trailer until it had been parked in their pen for nearly a week, causing us to move our abattoir appointment. Last year they only took a couple of days.

Our neighbours trailer is 8'x4' and has no top, just a tarp over it. One of the pigs tried to climb out once the ramp was up and that was a fairly stressful moment all round.

Next year I want to have our own trailer, with a roof, and be able to put it into the pen well in advance so it's a less stressful experience for everyone including the pigs and we have no worry about there being a need to return the trailer before we're done.

I felt the 8x4 trailer was about as small as I'd want to go with 3 pigs, so wondering what size you'd suggest for taking maybe 4 pigs to slaughter. Is 8' enough or should I be going to 10 or 12'. Are there guidelines for this sort of thing?

I'd preferably like to get one with a removable roof so it can be used to move other items around when needed such as to bring dumpy bags of stone/sand from the builders merchants.

nimbusllama

• Joined Nov 2010
  • Near Mansfield, Nottinghamshire

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: What size trailer for 4 large pigs?
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 09:43:23 am »
Are these pigs going to be for pork, for bacon or fully grown breeding size?  We take three pork size in our 6 x 4 IW but switch to the 8 x 5 IW for larger numbers or baconers.  There are a couple of trailer manufacturers out there that do removable tops (I don't think IW presently has one in its range).  The problem with having a dual-purpose item is that it can end up doing neither job particularly well.

Justin

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Devon
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 10:20:15 am »
I'd say they'd be for bacon. We raise our berkshires slowly and they run to about 80-90kg by the time they're sent off. Probably a little more fat that you'd get in commercial pork but our butcher always comments on how good they are and is surprised that there isn't more fat. We grow them slowly.

Perhaps a fixed top is the best option then, and looks like either stay with an 8' or go to a 2 wheel 10', though I expect that's a chunk more change. Will have to keep a look out for something second hand over the winter.

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 10:32:33 am »
4 baconers probably fine in a 8'
Ours is a 10x5' twin axle and i'd probably take 5, maybe 6 if they weren't staying in overnight

90driver

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Independent Land Rover Specialst
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 05:32:13 pm »
Hi.

I adapted and old horse trailer that was in need of tlc. Fitted it with stock gates and made it easier to pressure wash out . Loads of room for 4 100kg pigs.

I would not consider a roofless trailer for taking finished pigs ad you have already discovered they will try and jump out.

I would also think twice about the low roof models as more often than not you have to get in there with them to get them out !

Will be putting ours in the field on Sunday for an Abattoir run monday. A couple of bucket lead trips up and down the ramp is all it takes to get ours in the trailer. I make a point of always going in the field to feed them so they are used to following me about. 

Justin

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Devon
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 06:16:19 pm »
Yeah, definitely won't be roofless :)

Was pondering the low vs high room and, as you say, reckoned something with a 6' roof would be better for actually getting in to for moving them around or putting their food in there to get them used to it.

Like you, I feed them in the pen each day and they follow me, nipping at my heels usually. This year, they just wouldn't take to the trailer at all, very odd.

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 06:23:44 pm »
Yeah agree on height, our current one is 4', which is annoying.
Next one will be 5' at least

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2017, 07:51:28 pm »
Try putting some of their bedding in the trailer, so it smells of them.

Justin

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Devon
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2017, 11:21:18 pm »
Ah, that's a good idea, I'll try that next year, thanks.

90driver

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Independent Land Rover Specialst
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2017, 09:17:06 am »
Yeah agree on height, our current one is 4', which is annoying.
Next one will be 5' at least

Lol. Nothing worse than having to get on your hands and knees in a soiled trailer to try and stare a stubborn boar from depths of the trailer.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2017, 10:35:01 am »
No, but it's very amusing for the handlers at the abattoir.

3county farm boy

• Joined Jan 2017
  • Love my family animals and life's sweet
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2017, 07:45:10 pm »
A decent slaughterman will get in the trailer and help if the smallholder allows it
Everyday is a day to wake up for

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS