Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sending off smaller lambs  (Read 3365 times)

crobertson

• Joined Sep 2015
Sending off smaller lambs
« on: September 04, 2017, 07:38:04 am »
Just looking for some advice as we have our first homebred lambs due to go soon. I decided to keep our 5 ram lambs intact until I saw a reason not too (won't be next year) but they all really need to go asap as they can't go in with the ewes, ewe lambs, gang up on the ram and hormones will be kicking in soon. Our local butcher said he has time to do them next week (I'll be on holiday for 2 weeks after that) but I'm not sure if they look too small, I last weighed them around 3 weeks ago and they were over 30kg so might be a bit more now they just don't look very big and ideally wanted them gone pre holiday! They are crossed with a Derbyshire gritstone which produce a long carcass but aren't a very tall breed so that might be why. ... will it be a waste sending them ? (I'll get a more accurate weight tonight)
The meat is only for ourselves, friends and family
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 07:45:12 am by crobertson »

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Sending off smaller lambs
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 07:48:29 am »
Usually reckon on getting back half the live weight of a lamb in meat so it depends how much meat you want.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 08:06:31 am »
And how much hassle they will be keeping them any longer. I would send them off or alternatively you could put them through the store ring at market?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 09:22:07 am »
Tupping time draws ever closer ....  you may get only £10 a head if you sell them as stores just now, or you could get considerably more - just depends on demand on the day.  Supermarket butchers want them as close to identical as possible with regard to size and fat cover but that won't be a problem if they're heading for your freezer.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 09:27:58 am »
What are you doing with meat?  Ours go off at about 35KG min .... lovely meat .... but couldn't sell through market at that .... we sell half lambs direct.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

crobertson

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2017, 10:08:59 am »
Thanks for that, the meat has already been booked / sold to friends and family so they all have a freezer to go too I just wasn't sure whether they'd be big enough but they were all over 30kg a few weeks ago and I think it won't be worth the hassle of keeping them longer !

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2017, 11:54:18 am »
Ram lambs have a slightly lower kill % out than wethers or ewe lambs, and as lambs get older throughout the season their kill out % decreases too. So whilst I would get them gone to save any hassle (and taint... hormones will start kicking in too) be prepared that the carcasses might be on the small side. And next year put bands on  ;)  any entire ram lambs really need to be gone by beginning of August, anything that will finish later than that it's best to band. If you're selling by the half/whole you may just have to adjust your price. If selling by the kilo then it's not too much of a problem.

crobertson

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2017, 08:43:47 pm »
Thanks for all the replies, we weighed them tonight, the smallest is 33kg ish and the others are around 34, 35 and 36kg so I'm a bit happier sending them off rather than the hassle of keeping them a few more weeks for the sake of an extra kilo or two.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2017, 09:48:42 pm »
any entire ram lambs really need to be gone by beginning of August

Wow, that's early - I think I'd have to do a lot of feeding if I wanted to send ours then.

Why do you say that, Twizzel?  Taint and hassle, or is it for other reasons?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2017, 08:40:48 am »
Gone or totally separated- to avoid any unwanted pregnancies ! We have killed an entire ram lamb in October and he was ok, but we had him separated with a wether friend since August out of earshot of any ewe lambs.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2017, 08:51:02 am »
Depends on breed our rams are only just starting to show testosterone fired behaviour now. 
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

crobertson

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2017, 09:43:47 pm »
Still can't decide whether to take the boys tomorrow :( at weights of 35kg I say yes but then when you feel them they feel lean so now I  really don't know what to do! I want them gone but also don't want people to be disappointed and not buy the meat  :thinking:

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2017, 12:09:41 pm »
Weight is only a small indicator of ready to kill , could be ready from 30kg to 50kg depending on breed .  I f you condition score your ewes then  lambs need to be  roughly  3 to 4 again breed dependant   plus ewe lambs tend to be fatter at the same weight as a wether

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS