Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mink  (Read 3163 times)

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Mink
« on: September 05, 2017, 01:48:46 pm »
We thought we spotted what might be a mink a few weeks ago. It was dusk and we didn't get a good look.
A neighbour called at the weekend to say that she had seen one sitting on a neighbours lawn just down the lane from us and very near to our possible sighting.
I don't know much about them. The brook runs along our boundary.

How much of a risk are they to our free ranging poultry?
Do they hunt in the day?
Do they attack cats?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Mink
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 02:41:16 pm »

Definitely serious risk to your poultry, they are also very good at getting over fences, I have seen them out in the day, so I think they are active and hunting (but we have - touch wood - not lost any poultry to mink), no idea if they attack cats.

I would have a chat with a local gamekeeper, maybe they could set a trap?

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 03:25:36 pm »
We had a batch released by do gooders from a mink farm a few years ago.....

They followed the river and a few found their way into the brooding sheds ( during my lunch hour) where I was working. Carnage, would be an accurate description  :'(.  Must have been a hundred dead, part grown turkeys, they ate the heads only.

Not sure how wild ones hunt but I'd be concerned  :-\

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 04:25:38 pm »
A neighbour lost all his ducks to them over a couple of days.  They hunt in the day and it's very hard to make a run mink-proof unless it's sturdy and on concrete - like stoats and weasels they'll get through a hole less than half the size of a closed fist.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 11:06:00 am »
Mmmmm, thanks all.

Somehow feared this would be the case. Not a lot I can do then really.  Lots of gamekeepers around so guessing mink won't be popular with them.

Have small strong wire on most runs but can't put them on concrete so they may as well carry on free ranging.

Fingers crossed that they prefer pheasant poults. ::)

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 11:13:53 am »
Live catch traps are not too expensive and if you can find a well used run/track, they are very effective.
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 01:29:01 pm »
I bought a link trap after losing some stock. Baited it with a bit of smelly fish. Caught a podcast! Never seen one before

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 01:35:58 pm »
I bought a link trap after losing some stock. Baited it with a bit of smelly fish. Caught a podcast! Never seen one before

Caught a what??
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2017, 01:06:42 pm »
I suspect it's a Lesser Spotted Autocorrect.  If, however, it was a polecat, it'd be one of the most vicious predators of all - even our farm dogs wouldn't tackle the one they cornered.

F.CUTHBERT

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2017, 10:24:39 pm »
Tunnel traps work well on mink, set a fen trap in a pipe or wooden tunnel next to the run and the minks curiosity makes them take a look inside.

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2017, 09:39:00 am »
So I bought a mink trap and caught a polecat.  Sorry for the autocorrect. I did see one recently where a bloke got out of his banana (van)  :roflanim:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS