Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Eye infection - Advice please!  (Read 1971 times)

wild_thorn

• Joined Jun 2017
  • Staffordshire Moorlands
    • Facebook
Eye infection - Advice please!
« on: September 04, 2017, 01:59:09 pm »
Hi, I have a 2.5 year old cow in calf. She is one of two cows that we have. Yesterday I noticed she had some whitish eye discharge in both eyes. It kind of looked like 'sleep' that human get.  Otherwise her eyes seem fine - she is not squinting and they don't appear blue/discoloured.  I have googled it and only come with IBK, IBR, silage eye and all need antibiotics to treat but I am wondering if there is any other causes that it might be. My cows live outdoors on pasture but we have just finished baling the hay so it has been a bit more dusty than usual and I did give them a half bale that hadn't netted properly and she burrowed her head in it. I am thinking it isn't a foreign body in the eye though as she has it in both.

Nearest other herd is maybe 200m away but there are some sheep over the fence. She has got a lot of flies on her at the moment, more so than my other cow (I am thinking they are attracted to her as she is more black).

She came from a biodynamic farm and we also follow biodynamic/organic farming principles. 

She is horned and won't let me near her to spray or wipe them. I could borrow a crusher from a neighbour if needed.

Any thoughts? Is it worth me waiting a day or tow to see if it clears or is it unlikely to be a mild infection that will clear on its own? I could go get the crusher and spray her with colloidal silver which I have heard works but needs to be done at least twice a day!

Thanks

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: Eye infection - Advice please!
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 04:01:47 pm »
Given the practicalities of actually getting the cow in the crush, and the fact that the eyes do not appear cloudy or discoloured, I would wait and see how they progress. Could you get your neighbour with the crush to give an opinion?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 09:47:11 pm by landroverroy »
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 09:46:14 am »
Having had first hand experience of IBR I don't recall eye discharge being the main symptom, but lethargy, fever, reduced mobility were. So if your cow is well in herself and you run a closed herd I'd be surprised if it was that (which is good... because IBR is really really nasty). I wouldn't go spraying anything into the eye, just leave be and see if it clears up itself. If it doesn't I'd get the vet to have a look when you have her in the crush.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 09:55:51 am »
New Forest eye is a likely cause and needs to be treated before it gets to the cloudy/blue eye stage 

http://www.nadis.org.uk/bulletins/eye-conditions-in-cattle.aspx?altTemplate=PDF

Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 08:18:06 am »
I think I'd give it a day to settle if it's from dust or sticking her head somewhere silly, if it's still got discharge 24 hours later then start thinking about getting the crush ready.

wild_thorn

• Joined Jun 2017
  • Staffordshire Moorlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 08:45:01 pm »
Thank you all for the comments. The discharge is stopping and seems to have stopped completely in one eye. The other eye is slightly watery but no more discharge stuck on the face under the eye. She has both eyes fully open, is not excessively blinking and is still eating well.

I am inclined to think it is clearing up on its own although none of the references explain the stages very well. The discharge stopping could just mean it is moving to the ulceration phase...?

I am assuming if it were a serious infection it would be a lot worse by now and she would be squinting and clearly in pain.

A friend/farmer said it could new forest but wasn't convinced as she doesn't have tear staining that he would have expected to see if it was new forest.

I wil keep an eye on her over the weekend and call vet Monday if I still think it is not better.

Thank you again!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS