Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fec kit  (Read 7839 times)

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
Fec kit
« on: September 03, 2017, 08:30:00 pm »
Does anyone have/use their own kit?

Just seen one for sale, microscope, scales etc and it got me wondering.....

I'd like to do my own regular checks so would be interested if anyone can recommend a reliable set up and the costs?

Cheers

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Fec kit
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 09:47:45 pm »
Hi Sbom, The kits I saw for sale were quite expensive, so I bought a 1960s optical microscope from fleabay and put my own kit together for about £90.

That said, If you just want to buy a kit that will work straight away without any doubts, try speaking to Brunel Microscopes. They offered to put a kit together for me similar to their fish and pigeon disease kits, but with a Mcmaster slide etc. Although I didn't buy from them in the end, they were very helpful, and I'm sure you'd get good service from them.

I totally recommend it to anybody who has a scientific ish mind, and is willing to take a long term view of the cost. I've found it really useful to be able to do my own FECs, and I'm starting to get more confident in the results too (for example, our lambs were suspiciously parasite free this year, so I nipped over the fence and stole some fresh poo from our neighbour's lambs and horses.... and they were absolutely riddled!  :innocent: ). I've also found it useful to be able to do a post worming or quarantine effectiveness check.

HTH!  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 07:04:06 pm by Womble »
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 12:36:54 am »
Oh that's a classic Womble - vaulting the fence to nick your neighbour's dung  :poo: :poo: :poo: :roflanim:  Love it
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 04:49:15 pm »
OK what exactly is a FEC kit?
I understand about the concept
I have a cheapie microscope, (Aldi) and tried a couple of times, not very successful (didn't recognize anything as a problem).
So what is in the kit / what do you NEED?

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 07:05:01 pm »
Oh that's a classic Womble - vaulting the fence to nick your neighbour's dung  :poo: :poo: :poo: :roflanim:  Love it

Just making good use of the things that I find.
(Things that the everyday folks leave behind)  :innocent: .

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 09:34:58 am »
OK what exactly is a FEC kit?
I understand about the concept
I have a cheapie microscope, (Aldi) and tried a couple of times, not very successful (didn't recognize anything as a problem).
So what is in the kit / what do you NEED?

The one I saw had a microscope, scales, jugs bottles and pipettes......from what I could see

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 03:11:38 pm »
[member=2128]Womble[/member]

Do you have any tips for buying a microscope. I have everything else I need for the FECs but I haven't bought a microscope before and I'm a bit nervous about spending a bunch and missing something obvious on the specs.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 03:33:55 pm »
Hi Dans, as microscopes go, it needn't be anything fancy. The universal recommendation is for it to have overall magnification settings of x40 and x100. This is usually achieved by using a x10 eyepiece lens and a choice of x4 and x10  objectives (you multiply the power of the individual lenses together to get the overall magnification ).

The only other essential that I'm aware of is to have a 'mechanical stage' so you can move the slide around precisely to do the counting.

Anything beyond that (eg cameras etc) is purely down to personal preference and depth of wallet!

I also bought the cheapy plastic mcmaster slide and have found it to be fine. Everything else (e.g. the drugdealer weighscales) I bought inexpensively from Ebay. Likewise I'm just using a saturated table salt solution as the floatation liquid.

HTH!  :thumbsup:

DartmoorLiz

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Devon
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2017, 09:23:30 pm »
I bought a cheap new binocular microscope on e-bay and the two eye pieces don't go close enough together for me to use it binocularly.  Also, even when my OH who can use it binocularly tries, the images do not match.  Its fine for one eye though.  The mcmaster slide came from Womble (thanks).  Other than that, I use the kitchen scales that only go down to 1g so I multiply all weights by 100 (or is it 10, can't remember). Don't tell OH about weighing sheep poo using kitchen scales.  I've now bought a new tea strainer - (even I have limits) and I use a saturated sugar solution that lives in a kilner jar and grows mould between sessions.  I keep lolly sticks for stirers and yogurt pots for ... well pots.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 09:35:40 pm by DartmoorLiz »
Never ever give up.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2017, 10:36:42 pm »
I bought a set of these scales from Fleabay for three quid. They work well enough, and avoid potential kitchen disasters too.

I still use the tea strainer from the kitchen though. As long as I remember to only ever drink coffee, life is good!  ;D

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2017, 08:13:32 am »
I have inherited several tea strainers and as we use bags there is no problem on that one. I bought a microscope and then discovered a retired scientist who would have given me the choice of three for free. Kitchen scales are used - oops. The childs old chemistry set had test tubes and racks along with various funnels which got appropriated.

If I was setting up again I would give Freecycle a try for the microscope.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2017, 05:23:53 pm »
Are any of those microscopes still going Buttermilk? I'm interested and don't mind paying for one.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2017, 06:49:11 pm »
Are any of those microscopes still going Buttermilk? I'm interested and don't mind paying for one.
I can ask him for you, he is one of our RDA helpers.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2017, 06:36:19 pm »
Bringing this back up again...  ::)

Can anyone post a link to the type of microscope that would do the job?

Sheep I understand  :sheep:  , microscopes I do not!! :dunce:

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2017, 08:40:53 am »
I am enquiring of Brunel on the microscope so will let you know how I get on.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS