Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep, fluke and clean pasture?  (Read 1779 times)

JMB

• Joined Apr 2011
Sheep, fluke and clean pasture?
« on: September 02, 2017, 04:49:16 pm »
Hi. Sorry if this is a stupid question. We are due to fluke our sheep with triclabendazole due to fluke warnings. But I'm not sure what constitutes 'clean pasture'? We could fluke them and then move them to the bottom field which is wetter and boggier (the worst fluke conditions I fear) but hadn't had sheep on for a few months (we had pigs on it) OR we can leave them in the top fields which are drier but have had sheep on recently. I'm not sure which is best?
We would normally shut off the bottom field during winter, but I'm now concerned that due to the wet summer and high fluke warnings we might have to do this earlier.
Thank you xxxx

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Sheep, fluke and clean pasture?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 03:49:46 pm »
Since your lower field has not had sheep on it for a while I would move down there to flush them ready for tupping so that you can then close it for the winter, this will allow the top fields to grow more grass ready for winter grazing, you can then give  a second fluke dose .   If you speak to your vet you can test to see if you really do have fluke before dosing

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Sheep, fluke and clean pasture?
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 02:23:46 pm »
I would not move sheep onto pasture that had pigs on recently, due to the possibility of copper poisoning, as pig feed is high in copper and therefore their dung is as well.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS