Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Brahma chickens  (Read 2128 times)

Alex_

• Joined Jul 2016
Brahma chickens
« on: August 31, 2017, 01:33:31 pm »
Any one on here had any experience with Brahma chickens? They look gigantic and quite interesting  :chook:

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
Re: Brahma chickens
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 01:45:11 pm »
They are big but not the heaviest. Lots of feathers and long bones that's all lol
Ifbyoir ground is muddy in winter their feet will get really dirty. Small eggs bit the birds are very pretty
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 01:45:57 pm »
They are very popular down here and are our next intended purchase, when the Orpingtons have gone. Slow growing, poor layers, docile and very tall are what I have heard. Of course you need a coop sized for them, particularly the pop-hole door!

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 06:11:22 pm »
My daughter chose 6 growers in the Spring. She has 2 dark Brahmas, 2 Flaverolles and 2 Cream Legbars.

The Flaverolles and Brahmas are already huge.

The Brahmas are very attractive. They are friendly and inquisitive. They follow you around and seem quite clever.

The Flaverolles are a lost cause. Totally unaware of what's going on around them! They appear to be rather 'dim'!

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 07:04:47 pm »
Brahmas are gorgeous if you want something placid and stately to look at with a reasonable egg supply as a bonus.
I first got a pair when my lads were little. They were so tame that they would let my 5 year old pick them up and put them in the (dogless) dog kennel just like a pair of dolls. Unfortunately, they were also so tame that the fox killed them. But that's another tale.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 10:58:12 pm »
Placid, poor layers, good looking.
Not my kind of birds, I like them a bit quicker, slimmer and to lay better. My mum loved them though  :love:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 11:45:48 am »
We hatched 4 from under a broody. They are 12 weeks now and already very large (!)  I get the impression that they're not the brightest buttons in the tin but they are very tame and cuddly if you like that in a bird.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS