Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Older lamb failing to thrive  (Read 8321 times)

SallyN

• Joined Jun 2015
  • Nr Chard, Somerset
Re: Older lamb failing to thrive
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2017, 10:28:07 am »
Anke - thank you. I think I was just getting too close to it all and not really seeing it for what it was. Quite right: not responsible, I was letting sentimentality get in the way of clear thinking, and have now done the right thing by him. Poor little mite.

x
Smallholding without the smallholding, on various bits of rented land and a big veg garden! Small flock of Dorset Down sheep, assorted hens and a couple of idle ponies.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2017, 10:41:55 am »
Best to put them down a moment too early than a moment too late. That's what I've always stood by. Have called time on a few lambs and calves now after giving reasonable time to recover but it should never get to the point you're just prolonging the inevitable. I agree with Anke after your first post I would have been straight on the phone to the vet not second guessing a diagnosis through the internet. If it's one thing I've learnt from keeping sheep it's best to get the advice of the vet even if just speaking over the phone, than to guess yourself and possibly get the diagnosis wrong. In the time it takes to realise you've got it wrong that could been the difference between life and death, they go downhill so quickly. Sorry to hear about your lamb  :-[

SallyN

• Joined Jun 2015
  • Nr Chard, Somerset
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2017, 10:48:51 am »
I know I do usually phone the vet pretty quickly when I have a problem but he was so non-specific: just failing to thrive really, no actual symptoms to talk about, he just kept slipping downhill for no obvious reason. Plus I wasn't really looking for watery mouth and am now kicking myself that I didn't think of that as a possibility earlier. The trouble is I've been trying to boost him up and I think you get so fixated on that course of action and looking for signs of a turnaround you don't really see that you're just prolonging the agony.

Sometimes you just need someone to tell you to get on with it - I'm on my own here and don't really have anyone to use as a sounding board or give me a kick up the backside when I'm failing to see the obvious, which is why this forum is so invaluable... x
Smallholding without the smallholding, on various bits of rented land and a big veg garden! Small flock of Dorset Down sheep, assorted hens and a couple of idle ponies.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2017, 11:27:05 am »
Agree, these forums are great for bouncing ideas around. We had a few cases of non specific problems- 1 turned out to be CCN going through our last group of fat lambs, and the other was a ewe that became critically ill 48 hrs post lambing. No idea to this day what it was, we (me and the vet) treated for both internal bleeding and infection with the possibility of it being metritis. To this day I still don't know how what it was and how she pulled through but she did :relief: 

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2017, 01:26:27 pm »
I didn't mean to sound harsh, but I have found that in every case of serious problems with ANY of my farm animals I think about first the likelihood of a 100% recovery (against costs of sorting the issue) and 2nd will this animal still be fit for purpose after recovery. If I find that I can't answer either positive it is better to swiftly and painlessly pts, even though it sounds cruel, but I have a limited budget (both time and money)... the system has worked well for the last 10 years or so.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2017, 02:47:11 pm »
I agree.  I put quality of life over quantity every time and we breed from only the very best stock, which for us means anything that's had any sort of problem up to breeding age doesn't get bred from and any ewe that's had a problem at lambing time (apart from something like tangled twins, say) goes to cull after weaning.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS