Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Killing tree roots  (Read 3762 times)

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Killing tree roots
« on: August 29, 2017, 08:20:07 am »
We are trying to free an ancient and massive Box from strangulation by wild plum, damson and elderberry trees. Digging roots out isn't an option as it would be a massive job and put the Box at risk. We used to us a product called 'root out', a crystalline substance which we used to pack into holes bored in the stump. It killed the roots and made them rot very quickly. Unfortunately we can't get anything like that here and the product doesn't seem to be made any more anyway.

Does anyone have any ideas how we can tackle these roots so that the trees don't simply grow back again. Thought about boring large holes into the stump and filling with vinegar- would that work?

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Killing tree roots
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 10:29:40 am »
Seems Copper nails may be the answer. I have some I bought for attaching lead sheet to boarding, so will give them a try and report back.

sheeponthebrain

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Turriff
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 11:12:58 am »
Someone once told me to paint neat round-up onto a stump to stop it growing again

VEG

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Maesteg South Wales
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 09:00:05 pm »
copper nails is an old wives tale, it doesnt work. Roundup will work only needs to be painted around the outside inch all around the stump
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 09:01:42 pm by VEG »

valmet10

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 08:15:51 pm »
drill holes in stumps and fill with neat Glyphosate best way to kill roots 

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 09:36:15 pm »

This ^

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 07:38:13 am »

Yep - this is how I understand its done

matthewmoore3

• Joined Sep 2017
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2017, 09:49:29 am »
As far as I am aware you can simply cover it up to starve it of light for a few months/couple of years. Easy, chemical free.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 09:51:36 am by matthewmoore3 »

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2017, 12:59:11 pm »
We called into Bricomarché (a DIY store) and looked in the gardening section. Lo and behold was a product which appears the same as Rootout- crystals which are packed into holes drilled vertically or around the outside of the stump and called Décamp. Surprising this isn't sold in the garden centres though?

Results with copper nails appear to be dependent on the variety of tree, the number used and the position they are placed. I do know they used to use copper paint for anti-fowling on the underside of boats, so it is toxic (and now banned.)

Covering them up makes sense, but sometimes they sprout from roots well away from the main trunk. So it would perhaps work for Elderberry, but not for wild Damson.

DartmoorLiz

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Devon
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2017, 06:23:34 pm »
They still use copper for antifouling boats.  Its called copperbot.  Its toxic to marine life, I have no idea about trees.  Hope the crystals work, I used something similar on a willow growing into our disused well and it worked a treat.
Never ever give up.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS