Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 19 days in and she just left them!  (Read 6680 times)

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
19 days in and she just left them!
« on: July 08, 2010, 11:07:36 am »
we had a broody & gave her 8 eggs.  she has been sitting on them faithfully for nearly three weeks.  tomorrow was their due day to hatch.  so why oh why did she just up and leave them yesterday?

we were lying in bed last night and my darling husband said "oh i forgot to tell you the broody is off the eggs"....by the time i checked them they were stone cold so no point in putting them in the incubator.  and when did he notice???  hours previously!!!  when maybe, just maybe, they could have been save...how could he have been such a dunderheed!!

anyway, out of interest, and becuase i thought i should, i opened each of the eggs this morning.  2 of them were duds, but the other 6 had perfectly formed wee chicks in them. 

so what might have happened - so i can hopefully not repeat the experience again

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: 19 days in and she just left them!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 11:09:29 am »
Thats a shame Laura, wonder why the wee bitch decided enough was enough???

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 11:20:11 am »
I wonder how long she had been broody before you put the eggs under?  They must have a timing method so they know when to assume their eggs are dud.  However, if they were due to hatch the next day then the chicks inside the eggs should have been beginning to cheep which she would have heard. Bummer  :(
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 11:29:21 am »
Gutted for you.  >:(

My first hatch out of our incubator had two perfectly formed that never made it out, which I was pretty sad about - no idea why they didn't make it out or make any attempt to.

My wife keeps on reminding me to not count my chickens before they've hatched - there is some truth in old wives tales!!!

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 11:34:32 am »
i know, i thought they would have been cheeping at her so that seemed strange to me too.
i'm now wondering if it's too late to stick some more in the incubator - will they be strong enough by winter do you think?

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 11:37:29 am »
I have successfully hatched and raised ducks later in the year than this so you should be ok.

bamford6

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 01:47:26 pm »
i teach the broodis to hatch i give them a number 1 to 10 i then put eggs in the incubater check alls well fertility etc i leave them 2 weeks and then i put the eggs under her i do this first season then when I'm Happy IL let them have the rare eggs .i also make the broodis light Sussex hen road island cock all sext Link so only hens copper tops will go broodey 3 or 4 times a season but thats not the best my best girls are wyndotts 12 eggs under a bantam is no problem iff the hen is onley 5 to 7 i dont bother letting them go broodey

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 02:01:10 pm »
Sorry this has happened.  Bit strange she went off broody so close to hatching.  When Hatching is near, my broodies do not leave the nest, they seem to know.  Had something scared her do you think?

One of my broodies was a few days off hatching, she left the nest, and I always check she is back on before going to work etc.  well, she was off for quite a while when I remembered she was out.  Eggs were stone cold, but put her back on, and 5 hatched out of 7. The other two were duds.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 09:43:33 pm »
Just hatched 17 out of 24 in the incubator, but also had two dead in shell, never tried to get out, other five were duds.

But also have abroody sitting on 5 eggs, unfortunately one is cracked as she managed to keep it stuck to her bum somehow as OH took her off for her corn/toilet break the other day and it fell off outside.... Another two broodies lasted about a week and 10days and then gave up, as incubator was full at the time I lost those eggs.

I find that first year broodies quite often get bored/hungry/whatever and get off the nest about a week/few days in... even found some starting to eat the eggs last year! I actually prefer the incubator now to broodies... but it is mpore work for you with feeding/lamp etc.

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 10:11:36 pm »
If a broody comes off the eggs it can be from lice or red mite eating at her while she is sitting.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2010, 02:48:02 pm »
i think it might be red mite eating at her.  we put vaseline on her comb but i noticed that she keot shaking her head the other day - that kind of fits the bill i think......?

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2010, 03:15:23 pm »
There is a lot of people struggling with red mite at the moment.  I dusted my small coop, as I had seen some, and all the hens.  Couple of days later, they were back, so had to repeat it.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2010, 09:08:33 pm »
We have not had red mite this year, but have made two changes since last:
1) We have painted the inside shed with creosote, as was done in the past. (of course all dry before any hens came in)
2) We use plastic containers as nest boxes, inside the chickenhouse. Works very well, easy to clean too.

No red mites this year (yet), but it's not that hot up here, and has bucketed it down today.... (my hay is still uncut....)

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2010, 09:13:28 pm »
It's a shame you didn't put them in the incubator.
My broody was killed by a fox at 18 days. Two surviving eggs, stone cold when I picked them up, they hatched in the incubator  :)

Red mite seems to be rife at the moment - could be the reason - or lice? I always give my broodies a good dusting when they first start sitting.

I have read about creosote creating 'mite free coops' elsewhere Anke - there definitely seems to be somethnig that they don't like in it....

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2010, 11:47:27 pm »
Another way to attack red mite is to burn them. Every time we muck out the houses we use a 'weed wand' around all the edges, lift out the perches and frazzle where the ends slot in, walls, inside roof, round the pophole, nest boxes etc.  It gets a bit exciting when the cobwebs catch fire.  Our hen houses are converted garden sheds from B&Q 10% off day - add a pophole and nest boxes and you have a cheap house you can stand up in. We re-creosote them once a year but the frazzling is done every week. Another use for the weed wand is to start bonfires, but we never use it for burning growing weeds (kills all the beneficial insects too).
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS