Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sad day  (Read 3463 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Sad day
« on: August 26, 2017, 01:55:28 pm »
Today I did my last ever milking. I've struggled to keep going with the goats since becoming disabled, needing a lot of help with everything. It got to the stage where milking was becoming more and more painful especially in the cold weather. Last winter, on very bad days, I was almost crying with the pain. I do have a machine but enjoy the physical contact of milking so rarely used it. So the decision was made and I've been drying Caldi up for the last couple of weeks. Today she only gave quarter of a pint so no point in doing any more although I will check her udder for a few days.
[/size]
[/size]The two girls will stay here as pets. Pom is now 10 and Caldi 3. Not much chance of rehoming them together so I'll wait until one is on her own and then rehome that one.
[/size]
[/size]I've had fifteen years or so of great enjoyment, being a goatkeeper with all that entails: lots of laughs, cuddles, frustration and wanting to strangle them at times, and I wouldn't swap a minute of it.
[/size]
 :gloomy: :gloomy: :gloomy:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Sad day
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 04:25:40 pm »

<<<< Today I did my last ever milking. I've struggled to keep going with the goats since becoming disabled, needing a lot of help with everything. It got to the stage where milking was becoming more and more painful especially in the cold weather. Last winter, on very bad days, I was almost crying with the pain. I do have a machine but enjoy the physical contact of milking so rarely used it. So the decision was made and I've been drying Caldi up for the last couple of weeks. Today she only gave quarter of a pint so no point in doing any more although I will check her udder for a few days.

The two girls will stay here as pets. Pom is now 10 and Caldi 3. Not much chance of rehoming them together so I'll wait until one is on her own and then rehome that one.

I've had fifteen years or so of great enjoyment, being a goatkeeper with all that entails: lots of laughs, cuddles, frustration and wanting to strangle them at times, and I wouldn't swap a minute of it. >>>>

That's so sad Leslie.  But you have all those years of pleasure to look back on (forgetting the pain of milking on cold days).  And you still have your goats  :goat: :goat:  for a while longer  :thumbsup:   :hug:
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 04:32:56 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 04:58:13 pm »
Comes to us all I'm afraid. Giving up is not easy when you enjoy something so much. I do know how you feel though. I did my last showing of my ponies a few weeks ago.  Can no longer run due to joint pain. Going to sell the 2 young Shetlands and just keep the 2 old ones. Heart breaking.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 05:00:24 pm »
 :hug: Leslie.   You have been an amazing goat keeper ..... Was inspired by your 'micro' dairy X
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 08:29:16 pm »
You will still be MgoM and one of the most inspiring and informed and amusing correspondents on here.  And well done on realising the time had come rather than put yourself and your goats through the inevitable downward spiral that happens when we don't face up to brave decisions.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2017, 09:11:03 pm »
You will still be MgoM and one of the most inspiring and informed and amusing correspondents on here.  And well done on realising the time had come rather than put yourself and your goats through the inevitable downward spiral that happens when we don't face up to brave decisions.
So very true , but please stay with us , once a goat keeper..  :hug: :hug:
RTB

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2017, 10:10:44 pm »
I will stay, so long as, once the goats have gone to the pasture in the sky, I don't have to change my name to the Mad Woman of Madeley.  :roflanim:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2017, 12:09:05 am »
We all think of you as the mad woman of madeley anyway... the goats are the only thing that make you 'normal'! (to us anyway).

:roflanim: :roflanim:

Who wants to be normal? Normal's boring.

I live in a town so no one nearby who is interested apart from the lad who helps me with them and his mum and auntie who do the holiday cover. And my best friend who has already done her bit as a goat keeper. It will happen slowly as the girls will be staying here for the foreseeable future. I have been planning what to do with the patch of garden that contains shed and yard so my mind will accept it's over when I lose the first one to death.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2017, 08:10:28 am »
 :hug:
Well done for making such a hard decision.

I know you say they are staying put but there's someone on marketplace looking for a milking goat in Shropshire.  Might be worth a message in to investigate.

See you soon, you k now you can always come here for a 'goat fix' if you start getting withdrawal symptoms.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2017, 09:40:10 am »

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2017, 10:29:39 am »

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2017, 12:34:43 pm »
Sorry you're having to give up milking Leslie, i know you've often said it's a struggle but you love milking, you can still have that closeness for a while.
But maybe more important to us, please stay on the group, your views and advice are invaluable to others, and you give hope to people who want goats but only have small spaces.
Hope all goes well for you all.

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2017, 07:19:04 pm »

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2017, 11:21:34 pm »
Thanks for all the support. I'm not going anywhere. You are all my family and, even when I don't have the goats any more, I will still be growing fruit and veg so I am still a micro-holder.

Debbie, still hoping to make that visit.

Alex_

• Joined Jul 2016
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2017, 11:28:28 am »
Sorry to hear that.

You have helped a lot of us with your knowledge of goats

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS