Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: small bale wrapper  (Read 2549 times)

valmet10

• Joined Mar 2016
small bale wrapper
« on: August 25, 2017, 09:55:58 pm »
with the weather as it is anyone know of any where in Yorkshire that hires out conventional bale wrapper
may be able to get some winter feed for sheep

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: small bale wrapper
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 07:22:39 am »
Sorry I cannot help regarding hire of one but I do know that they are hard work as the bales have to be lifted on and off the wrapper.  One or two is ok but by bale 20 you will be cream crackered.

I have decided that my second hay field will have to be grazed as standing hay.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 08:25:12 am »
My wife did 300 alone once when I got called away (still going at 2 in the morning) they are horrible to make and equally horrible to handle especially when iced up. Seemed like a good idea at the time

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 05:19:32 pm »
If I try and bale anything that isn't dry the baler can't handle it and the shear bolts go straight away.  I guess sharpening the knife would help but I can't see it being trouble free.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 05:47:41 pm »
I dont think you can hire it like that as its not viable with the outlay to trust it in anyone elses hands. A hire van or car - anyone can hire - farm equipment, no chance.

You could get credit and buy one and do others fields if there seems to be a lack of equipment in the area?

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2017, 09:17:15 pm »
My wife did 300 alone once when I got called away (still going at 2 in the morning) they are horrible to make and equally horrible to handle especially when iced up. Seemed like a good idea at the time
This is true . when we first wrapped conventional bales our neighbour thought we were nuts ( he was right ) , mini round bales much better but still we handle manually  :-\ 
Best option to find an owner and see if they will come and operate it for you , I would not loan out any of my gear unless I was operating it ,

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS