Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: any chilli sauce or chutney recipes??  (Read 8292 times)

loopy

• Joined Mar 2009
any chilli sauce or chutney recipes??
« on: July 08, 2010, 09:46:15 am »
despite hating chilli, my OH loves them and so i've grown about 70 plants for him this year, different varieties so lots of different shapes/sizes/colour/heat levels.  Last year we basically froze some, used some fresh, used some in a runner bean chutney and then used my dehydrator to dry the rest, and then turned some of these into chilli flakes and kept the rest whole.

This year i'd like to try and do something a bit more adventurous for him and the only things i can think of are a chilli sauce or a chutney type thing.  Does anyone have any tried and tested recipes?  Or any other suggestions for ways to use up/store/preserve a glut of chillis!!

Really struggling with this, as unlike most things i make in the kitchen, i won't be able to try it to see if it's ok!!

HappyHippy

Re: any chilli sauce or chutney recipes??
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 11:32:08 am »
This is lovely - well worth trying  :yum:

Sweet Chilli Jam

Makes 4 small jars     
Prep 20 min   Cook 1 hour

8 red peppers, deseeded and roughly chopped
10 red chillies, roughly chopped
finger sized piece of root ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
8 garlic cloves, peeled
400g can of cherry tomatoes
750g / 1 lb 10 oz golden caster sugar
250ml / 9fl oz red wine vinegar

Tip the peppers, chillies (with seeds), ginger & garlic into a food processor, them whiz until very finely chopped. Scrape into a heavy bottomed pan with the tomatoes, sugar and vinegar, then bring everything to the boil. Skim off any scum that comes to the surface, then turn the heat down to a simmer and cook for about 50 min, stirring occasionally.
Once the jam is becoming sticky, continue cooking for 10-15 mins more, stirring frequently so that it doesn’t catch and burn. It should now look like thick, bubbling lava.
Cool slightly, transfer to sterilised jars, then leave to cool completely.
Keeps for 3 months in a cool, dark cupboard – refrigerate once opened.

SLI

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 07:46:40 pm »
Hiya,
I have a great recipe for aubergine & red pepper chutney if you're interested... I also make a dried apricot chutney which is great with cheese & a Christmas chutney, so called because it's made with lots of dried fruit. These are all popular with my lot!  :wave:

valr

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Brightons nr Falkirk
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 09:09:07 pm »
Yes please SLI!

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 09:35:08 pm »
me too please! :wave:

dizzy1pig

• Joined Jan 2010
  • Leuchars, Fife
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 09:40:34 pm »
me three  :chook: :wave:

SLI

• Joined Apr 2010
Aubergine & pepper chutney
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 09:48:16 pm »
Aubergine & Pepper Chutney

2 lbs Tomatoes, skinned & chopped
1 large aubergine, chopped
1 green pepper, 3 red peppers, chopped
1 1/2 lbs onions, peeled & finely chopped
4 fat cloves of garlic, chopped    
12 oz golden granulated sugar
1/2 pint white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon of salt
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon cayenne
1 chopped red chilli

Put all veg & garlic into a large pan, bring to the boil & then simmer until tender (about 1 hour)
Add sugar, vinegar, salt & spices & turn up to a medium heat stirring until sugar has dissolved. Simmer 30 mins until it's a chunky texture.
Ladle into sterilised jars & seal jars while hot. Keep for about 2 months to mature. I usually make in October for Christmas.  :yum:

SLI

• Joined Apr 2010
Spiced Apricot & Orange Chutney
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 10:01:04 pm »
14 oz no soak apricots
1 teaspoon whole coriander seeds
8 oz soft light brown sugar
15 fl oz cider vinegar
1 medium onion chopped
2 oz sultanas
2 tablespoons finely grated fresh root ginger
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 level tablespoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Grated zest and juice of 1 small orange

A 1 litre preserving jar

Chop apricots into smallish chunks & rinse in a sieve in cold water. Shake off excess water & place in a large saucepan.

In a very small saucepan heat the coriander seeds, shaking the pan all the time until they splutter then crush with a mortar & pestle lightly & add to the apricots.
Add remaining ingredients & heat stirring until sugar has dissolved. Bring everything up to simmering point & simmer (covered) for 45 mins - 1 hour.
The apricots and onion need to be quite tender but don't overcook or it will be too think - the right consistency is like chunky rather than liquid jam. It does thicken as it cools.
Spoon into  a warmed sterilised jar & keep for 1 month before eating.

Can't take any credit for this - it's from Delia Smiths Christmas.

Very good with cheese & biscuits

Sue  ;D

SLI

• Joined Apr 2010
Christmas Chutney
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 10:13:47 pm »
Another Delia recipe from the Christmas Book - well worth having the book I think, but then I'm a cookery freak!

Anyhoo -

12 oz pitted no soak prunes
10 oz pitted dates
10 oz dried apricots
1 lb onions peeled
1 pint cider vinegar
1 dessertspoon grated fresh root ginger or 1 heaped teaspoon ground ginger
2 oz sea salt
3 oz allspice berries
1 lb demerara sugar

A 1 litre preserving jar & a small piece of muslin or gauze

Chop all dried fruits and onion in a food processor ( or be very patient & cut small with a knife!)
Put vinegar in a large saucepan with the salt & ginger , tie the allspice berries in the muslin & add to the pan. Bring everything to the boil then stir in the dried fruits and onions and the sugar.
Leave it all to simmer gently for about 1 1/2 hours or until thickened ensuring you stir from time to time. When it's ready you will be able to draw a spoon across the surface of the chutney and make a trail that doesn't fill up immediately with surplus vinegar.
Spoon into warmes sterilised jars seal with waxed discs & tight lids. Keep for 1 month to mature before eating.

SLI

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 10:15:17 pm »
Hey, HappyHippy - going to try your chilli jam recipe sounds yummy. I've made something like it before but your recipe sounds better.

Sue  :wave:

starcana

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 11:02:45 pm »
This is a fantastic recipe for Chilli Jelly which is wonderful with cheese, cold meats etc. The only trouble is, it's so good that when 'guests' taste it they ask for a jar so you have to make a lot! Add or subtract chillis from recipe to taste - I use about double the recommended 'dose'. Enjoy

http://www.thechilliking.com/chilli-jelly-recipe/

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 12:35:00 am »
I can give you some chilli sauce recipes from an indian chef ie my OH but be warned they are very very very very very very very very hot but tasty.

SLI

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2010, 08:52:04 pm »
Yes please Piggy! My OH LOVES spicy!  :P  :wave:

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2010, 12:43:41 am »
Will get asap and post.

dizzy1pig

• Joined Jan 2010
  • Leuchars, Fife
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2010, 12:58:33 pm »
This is a fantastic recipe for Chilli Jelly which is wonderful with cheese, cold meats etc. The only trouble is, it's so good that when 'guests' taste it they ask for a jar so you have to make a lot! Add or subtract chillis from recipe to taste - I use about double the recommended 'dose'. Enjoy

http://www.thechilliking.com/chilli-jelly-recipe/

JUst made this and boy its crackin. I used 6 scotch bonnets 3 birds eyes and8 or 9 red/green chillies
its pretty zingy but bloody good  :yum:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS