Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Keeping hens out of areas!!  (Read 2968 times)

sandy

Keeping hens out of areas!!
« on: August 15, 2008, 09:45:24 pm »
Hi, I have a 7ft wall around my garden so the hens should not get out, we clipped one of there wings and were keeping them free range at the top of our garden that is fenced off with a small wall and trellace up to about 5ft but now my hens are climbing over  it all the time, we are going to attatch some mesh to the top of the trellace but other than making our garden even more of a prison camp is there anything that may repell the hens from certain areas? :

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Keeping hens out of areas!!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 08:24:21 am »
A poultry keeper I knew used electric sheep?  netting around his hens.  They were never shut in.  Fox never visited, they never got out.  (Did not work on the ducks though).

sandy

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 08:32:16 pm »

Thanks for that, I do not want to keep them in as they add something to the top of the garden and I find them very entertaining, I think my dog helped them break loose, she chewed the bottom of a wooden gate and after getting threw that, they decided the flowers were very appealing, on that subject, do you know any plants they do not like to eat, my shrubs are fine but they have eaten my ferns as my top garden is a bit like a woodland area and now I have just a few bare bits that could do with something. Sandra :chook

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 08:39:56 am »
They don't eat lavender.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS