Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: help - can't sleep for trying to sort out ideas for a new bit of garden  (Read 6412 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
I want to remove some of the loads of grass in my front garden and am putting up a fence to section off a 'house' garden area.  The large area behind the fence will be left as grass and fruit trees, in front I want low maintenance - thinking of areas of different gravels with separation of some sort, a pond, raised beds, alpines etc etc - any ideas, folks?  I'm sitting here at 4am because my brain got into overdrive so hopefully I'll now be able to sleep having mentioned it on here ::) ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
I'd suggest a pond. We've got a little pond - just a preformed liner planted up - and I think it's lovely. We don't DO anything other than fill it if it gets low and we pulled some weed out in the spring but it's lovely and clear now. There are frogs, loads of insects, the birds drink out of it - we love it.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
I'd suggest a pond. We've got a little pond - just a preformed liner planted up - and I think it's lovely. We don't DO anything other than fill it if it gets low and we pulled some weed out in the spring but it's lovely and clear now. There are frogs, loads of insects, the birds drink out of it - we love it.
Yes, was going to have that too (got one from Sandy) but it's a large area.  May be started by the BBQ if you are coming to that?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

valr

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Brightons nr Falkirk
It's nice and flat so you can do pretty much ANYTHING! No wonder your mind has boggled.   ;D

Why don't you look on some gardening websites or get some gardening magazines for ideas? Or get some books from the library?

You could have a lovely wee sitting area with a pergola and arches with lovely climbers .... endless possibilities!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
It's nice and flat so you can do pretty much ANYTHING! No wonder your mind has boggled.   ;D

Why don't you look on some gardening websites or get some gardening magazines for ideas? Or get some books from the library?

You could have a lovely wee sitting area with a pergola and arches with lovely climbers .... endless possibilities!

That's the problem - too many options, it could get really messy if I have too much in there.  It's not as flat as you'd think by looking at it, Val.  Come by next time you're over to see Roy and Janice.

valr

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Brightons nr Falkirk
will do!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
Having paid Roy huge sums of money for my kitchen renovations there is little else left for the garden ;D ;D ;D  But at least I can request plants from freegle and friends.  I have the pond liner from Sandy & Steve, and fence posts left behind by previous owner so we're part of the way there!  Maybe some cheap climbers from Morrison, and relocate some that are in the other side of the fence.

valr

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Brightons nr Falkirk
B & M in the retail park in Linlithgow has lots of climbers for £1.99 just now - various clematis and virginia creeper and some roses .....
Don't know if there is one of them in Alloa ..?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
Had a builder friend round today and he is going to give me a rough idea of cost for doing the front and a great idea to solve the huge winter flooding at the back -  a pool for the dogs to retrieve from.  Who are B & M?

valr

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Brightons nr Falkirk
It's a cheapie shop - huge - sells all sorts including gardening stuff. I buy mealworms there - decent sized tub for £1.99! (My chickens are spoilt)
Good for cheap bark chips, chicken wire, trellis etc... It is in the retail park beside Argos and Homebase...

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
Never been to Linlithgow - must try to do that sometime!

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
B & M Homestores- they're great, I use the one in Linlithgow all the time! Gravel isn't very expensive Annie, unless you want the fancy coloured stuff! And you can pick up weed proof membrane for not too much. I love pergola's- I would love to have one, with lots of climbers.

Beth

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
Got a shock at the quote - an area of 20 yards by about 6 or 7.  I have the fence posts and sheep wire already.  To build a raised bed at one side with tree trunks, dig a hole for the pond, put tree trunks along the path to keep the gravel in, lay weed suppressant fabric, divide into three sections with more tree trunks, and gravel the lot with Spey chips - £1600.  Doesn't include any plants or putting them in.  What do you think?  Is that reasonable?  It's a 50/50 split between materials and labour.

valr

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Brightons nr Falkirk
I paid £1000 just to get my back garden turfed! So I think the quote is ok .. although maybe you could do some yourself to keep the cost down? I am happy to volunteer my labour (and Helen's!) one weekend

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
That's not a bad idea, might get my boys to do the fencing, we could lay the fabric ourselves and we could all 'chip' in with the chuckies  ;D  I'll have a word with them all.  We could have a 'garden party' couldn't we?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS