Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Looking for Lleyn ewes in central scotland  (Read 2186 times)

Cuddles

• Joined Feb 2014
Looking for Lleyn ewes in central scotland
« on: August 22, 2017, 06:54:29 pm »
Hi all,

I'm looking to expand my flock and Lleyns have caught my eye.  Can anyone recommend Lleyn breeders in and around central Scotland?  I've been on the flock book web site but I wondered if there are others breeders out there that come with personal recommendations?

Cheers,
Cuddles

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Looking for Lleyn ewes in central scotland
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 07:17:39 pm »
Mon 11th sept UA MART STIRLING   breed society sale of females and males , don't imagine they will be cheap . I will be at the auction selling store lambs if you needed help

Cuddles

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 01:41:50 pm »
Thanks Shep53, I'm not sure I'm going to be able to make the sale... My other full time job wont give me the time  off  ;D

I'll try and get my hands on the sales catalog and contact some of the breeders directly.  If the prices are silly money i'll need to revisit my choice of breed.

Thanks,
Cuddles

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 02:35:49 pm »
Thanks Shep53, I'm not sure I'm going to be able to make the sale... My other full time job wont give me the time  off  ;D

I'll try and get my hands on the sales catalog and contact some of the breeders directly.  If the prices are silly money i'll need to revisit my choice of breed.

Thanks,
Cuddles

I tried to do this, but the majority of breeders who sell at society sales save their stock for the sale and don't sell privately. Especially ewes as the Lleyn society has a rule of selling so many ewes per ram sold. I decided against pedigree stock but bought purebred ewes from a commercial breeder, straight off a hill farm. Hardy types, not been fed up and didn't pay the high Show prices either. I think unless you're breeding rams and show stock to sell then purebred unregistered stock is often the best value.

Cuddles

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 03:09:58 pm »
Thanks Twizzel, I'm not precious about having registered show quality sheep - not my scene and to be honest they would probably be too expensive anyway.  I was just looking for some pure lleyn ewes that can cope with lambing outside.

If anyone knows someone that would fit that bill and is within an hour or so of central Scotland please let me know.

Thanks again,
Cuddles

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS