Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: We have two Toggenberg goats  (Read 1533 times)

dimaria

• Joined Aug 2017
We have two Toggenberg goats
« on: August 18, 2017, 11:00:30 am »
We have two Toggenberg goats, one of which has been coughing. Having read up and asking around we wormed with Ivermectin drench as our "working diagnosis" is lungworm.

My question is how long before we can expect to see the coughing improve? She is otherwise well, and milking well ( we are discarding milk for 14 days). Or, what other conditions should we then consider.....or are we being neurotic newbie goat owners?

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: We have two Toggenberg goats
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 11:52:24 pm »
From my experience with cattle, the chronic coughing stops after about a week, but this will vary according to how badly the animals were affected. You may need to treat again after 35 days to catch the immature worms that were not killed initially and have now matured.
You may also find that after a few months the treated animal still gives the occasional cough. I used to get quite paranoic about this but think it's just because the previously affected lungs are still a bit susceptible to things catching.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
Re: We have two Toggenberg goats
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 09:24:44 pm »
If you're not sure what you're dealing with as you are nubies what made you decide to use ivermectin and what dose ?? You need to discuss with a knowledgeable vet as wormer doses for goats are usually more than sheep and you do need to have an idea of their weight.. Goats an cough for a variety of reasons , you need to discuss with your vet or find someone local who can guide you.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS