Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Newbie in need of help - pot bellied pigs  (Read 1873 times)

Peachy84

• Joined Aug 2017
Newbie in need of help - pot bellied pigs
« on: August 17, 2017, 03:12:19 pm »
Hi I just wanted introduce myself i'm Jen from wigan.

I have a friend who has pot bellied pigs that she keep in her garage and i'm dreadfully concerned that they are neglected however I have been informed that they have seen a vet and are fine. I've popped a few pictures on please can someone tell me if i'm right or wrong.

One cant open her eyes i believe its called Entropion? that picture was taken in march and has only got worse. Can someone please help? Many thanks Jen

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Newbie in need of help - pot bellied pigs
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 04:40:32 pm »
You may not keep pigs unless you have a CPH (County/Parish/Holding) number and  Herd Number.  Pigs may not be moved onto a registered holding without an eAML2 licence.  Pig-keepers must have a designated farm animal vet.  If you have any concerns about the welfare of these animals you could report them to the RSPCA or to the relevant Local Authority.  There are very strict welfare rules for pigs as well as all other classes of livestock in the UK.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Newbie in need of help - pot bellied pigs
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 06:17:17 pm »
I don't disagree with MF's post above but you need to be quite clear why you think they are neglected.

Yes, pot bellied pigs are prone to Entropion, which maybe a result of obesity but not always. If the pigs are over weight then losing weight might help and an operation is possible. However, if they have been seen by a vet then unless you have reason to or are qualified to disagree you are going against professional advice.

Pigs need shelter, food and water. They should be able to express normal behaviour and there may be some debate as to whether being kept indoors provides that but plenty of pigs never go out and they root in straw instead. Obviously they do have other pig company.  They should be free from pain, injury and disease but being realistic pigs get sick or might injure themselves and as long as the environment they are kept in hasn't been the cause, the owners responsibility is to seek rapid diagnosis and treatment. In this case you say a vet has been.

If you really feel there is a welfare issue then you can take action along the lines of MF's suggestions above.

Obviously, if a vet has attended any investigation will involve speaking to that vet.

There is no reason that a CPH has not been given for a garage. people get them for their garden.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS