Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Shetland Wool Week  (Read 4004 times)

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
Shetland Wool Week
« on: August 16, 2017, 07:15:09 pm »
Anyone coming up for the Wool Week in September?
In the depths of winter, I found there was in me an invincible summer - Camus

www.thecreativecroft.co.uk

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Shetland Wool Week
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 08:30:58 pm »
It is on my bucket list but not this year unfortunately.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 09:47:23 pm »
http://www.shetlandwoolweek.com/wp-content/themes/ShetlandWoolWeek/events_search.php

Wow, there's masses on.  The only time I came to Shetland was on a Shetland Sheep Soc tour, where everything was planned and transport and meals arranged.  So your mention of Shetland week has made me wonder just how you travel around on the islands, if you have no car.  I know there are ferries between the islands, but I feel you must have to have some kind of vehicle with you.

I would love to do the Lopi class, and enameling, but unfortunately I don't know anyone to travel with, and I'm not mobile enough to walk all that far.  People I know who have been in past years have absolutely loved it, but very sadly I have to opt out  :'( :knit: :spin:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 11:49:39 pm »
I would so love to go, particularly as I've wanted to visit Shetland for years, but it's just too far to travel.  :(

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 12:46:21 am »
I would so love to go, particularly as I've wanted to visit Shetland for years, but it's just too far to travel.  :(

I was once invited to lead a class on North Ronaldsay.  I would have loved to have done that, but just getting there was so complicated and a bit hit and miss, so very sadly I had to turn it down.  I don't travel well by air, sea or road so distances are always going to be a problem (and I'm always ill with 'foreign' food and water  :yuck: ).  It's so annoying isn't it.  My nightmare surprise gift is a cruise.  Where's the cowering in a corner with your hands over your eyes icon when you need it :o
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 12:47:57 am by Fleecewife »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 08:59:40 am »
Not this year, I'm afraid, but I will be there again one year.  Maybe 2019.   I've been to two, had a fantastic time both times.  Shetland and its people are well and truly under my skin and in my heart. 

As to travel, there's an excellent flight service from Edinburgh to Sumburgh.  I think there's also a service from Glasgow.  Hiring a car from Star or Bolts they'll meet you at the airport and return you at the end. 

Inter island ferries are plentiful and efficient.  Many activities are in Lerwick or Hoswick, so either of those make a good base.  It is useful to be able to walk around Lerwick, for sure, but even if you settled in the venue where the Hub is and didn't leave it, you'd have a wonderful week. 

Getting to other venues outside of Lerwick, a car makes it easy but WoolWeekers car share, with a noticeboard in the Hub offering and seeking lifts, and also a group on Ravelry doing similar. 

Oh, and the food is excellent, and wouldn't feel 'foreign' to you, Fleecewife!  :D. At the Mart, they have a plaque showing you where on Shetland today's food has come from, which is a great idea.  Wish other Livestock Marts did it too.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 09:04:07 am by SallyintNorth »
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 12:00:03 pm »
<<< Oh, and the food is excellent, and wouldn't feel 'foreign' to you, Fleecewife!  [/size] >>>

Ah but it does, or did in 2,000.       I've just had my palate for traditional foods spoiled by spicey foods since I learned to grow red hot chillies  :chili: :chili: :chili: :chili: :chili: .  I think I must basically be a stay at home girl (old lady). I know I miss out on lots of things.  I'll have to live second hand by reading about everyone else's experiences in Shetland this year.   The week we spent there all those years ago was one of the high spots of my smallholding life - it's when I first really got to know shetland sheep, and their fleece.  It's also where I learnt to do the fleece 'palm test', which has stood me in good stead ever since.
Anyway, I wish I could go but it won't happen this year sadly  :sheep: :spin: :knit: :sheep:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 10:44:16 pm »
No problem getting there from Glasgow or Edinburgh but it's the two days drive to get north of the border that is my problem. I simply can't drive for more than about three hours in one day. I suppose I could fly from Birmingham to  Glasgow/Edinburgh and then fly on from there but I would need OH to go with me as he is my carer. I could try him, I suppose, but I don't think he'd be very enthusiastic about anything with Wool in its title.

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2017, 08:24:19 am »
Fleece wife, please elaborate on the fleece " palm test", is it a method for assessing softness etc?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2017, 10:49:30 am »
Fleece wife, please elaborate on the fleece " palm test", is it a method for assessing softness etc?

Yes, it is.  It's to do with the fact that your finger tips are far more sensitive than the palm of your hand, and the sensitivity gradually increases as you work outwards from the middle.  Lower your hand into a pile of fluff, eyes closed, and feel what you can feel.  If you can sense it with your whole hand, then it's a stronger fibre, higher micron count.  Not your palm, but your whole fingers, then it's medium.  If you can only feel it with your finger tips, then it's quite fine.  But if you actually don't feel that you've touched anything, then this is exceptionally fine, like bunny fluff, angora etc. 
It doesn't work quite so well for spun fibres, because you can feel the structure of the yarn, but once you get to knitwear it works again.
If you want to check a whole fleece, then take a few locks and comb them, hold them in one hand, and gently touch them against the other hand, palm, then fingers, then finger tips.

It's just an estimate of micron count and softness, but as it's our skin which feels fibres and their softness, then it's relevant.

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2017, 06:14:08 pm »
Oh what a shame I wont be able to meet any of you - never mind another time perhaps. I shall have a stall at the Makers Market but decided not to run a class as my son is getting married the week before, so things will be a bit fraught in September on the old Creative Croft. I know the WW is incredibly popular globally so it should be fun and I also know that a lot of folk book their accommodation for the following year when they visit.

As Sally has already mentioned most of the venues are in Lerwick because folk don't have transport and Fleecewife surely you could just bring a bottle of chilli sauce with you? Like the palm test by the way.

I'll admit travelling around the island without a car is very very difficult especially where I live due to the minimal bus service, but the closer one lives to Lerwick the easier it gets.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2017, 07:17:10 pm »
I met a friend today who always goes to Shetland with the very least excuse, but even she isn't going this year  :(   It wouldn't be so difficult with a chum who knew the ropes.

I knew a Chinese nurse once who took Tobasco sauce with her wherever she went, and she would shower every meal with it, before even tasting if the food needed chilli  :P  (that icon is for my tongue which doesn't like too much heat)  No, the food is the least of it - I'm unlikely to starve  :eyelashes: .

Maybe next year when we have no lambing, and I can book a convenient B&B.  It would be lovely to meet you Polyanya and see your produce.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2017, 05:58:30 pm »
Somehow I have come to the conclusion that Woolweek is mainly for Americans that adore all things Shetland.... We went a few years ago during the summer and took in one of the main shows, and yes I loved checking out the sheep then, but all in all I was actually disappointed how much of Shetland was the same as anywhere else in Scotland (24h Tesco's, Co-op, Chinese restaurant) ... minus the trees but with maniac car drivers (we took our car up there and went by ferry, which was quite nice, except that someone decided to jump off into the sea, prompting a search and rescue....)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2017, 11:10:41 pm »
I have just discovered that a friend is travelling up for it in her camper van. She even gets her husband to go with her as driver. They spend a couple of weeks away so presumably taken their time on the journey.      :idea: Wonder if I can hitch a lift next year.

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2017, 10:51:00 pm »
Hah hah well you can all come and stay with me  ;D It would be great to meet you too Fleecewife  :hug: Sadly even Shetland has been infested with the 21st century but there are still very many remote pockets of old croft houses and peat fires. During the summer I hardly go into the big town (Lerwick) as we grow so much of our own food. Think that might have been me you saw driving Anke - the empty Shetland roads bring out the 'Hamilton' in me I confess :innocent:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS