Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What withdrawal period for injections not licensed for sheep?  (Read 3649 times)

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
  • North coast of Scotland
What withdrawal period for injections not licensed for sheep?
« on: December 19, 2017, 10:12:55 pm »
The vets have prescribed me a 4-day course of Synulox injections and a shot of metacam for one gimmer who's come back from her trip away to the tup lame with a swollen, hot knee.  I understand they can do this under the prescribing cascade (neither is specifically licensed for use in sheep), but what do I put down in my medicine book for the withdrawal period?  The NOAH website gives the information for cows and pigs, I'm guessing that the period for pigs is going to be closest, so should I use that?

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
Re: What withdrawal period for injections not licensed for sheep?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 10:52:31 pm »
Talk to the Vet who prescribed

ZacB

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Suffolk
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 07:09:35 am »
Can you not just enter "not licensed" under the withdrawal tab........? Just ensure you enter the vets details under the purchasing record details / administered by - I would had thought this would have covered you.

Oh, and don't send in to the abattoir.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 07:53:14 am »
.....  for how long though?  A week?  A year?  ten years?  :dunce:

As a general point, I make very sure that withdrawal periods and 'earliest slaughter date' go into the diary for anything I'm intending to send to the abbatoir. If a ewe gets a shot of something, I haven't been bothering to work out withdrawal periods, and would only do that retrospectively if I wanted to send her away.

This stems from my belief that the worst possible use of my time is to do something very well that didn't need to be done at all. However, am I being very bad here, and would I get my wrists slapped for this?  :innocent:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 08:56:58 am »
.....  for how long though?  A week?  A year?  ten years?  :dunce:

As a general point, I make very sure that withdrawal periods and 'earliest slaughter date' go into the diary for anything I'm intending to send to the abbatoir. If a ewe gets a shot of something, I haven't been bothering to work out withdrawal periods, and would only do that retrospectively if I wanted to send her away.

This stems from my belief that the worst possible use of my time is to do something very well that didn't need to be done at all. However, am I being very bad here, and would I get my wrists slapped for this?  :innocent:

You would if you were farm assured, they would want withdrawal end dates recorded for everything... but if you’re not FA, then you’ll probably be fine  :innocent:

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
  • North coast of Scotland
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2017, 09:36:18 am »
I am an idiot - they changed their computer system a couple of weeks ago and withdrawal times are now printed on the dispensing labels!

42 days for Synulox and 28 days for Metacam in case anyone else needs (interestingly, the Metacam withdrawal period is longer in sheep than it is in cattle).

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS